*** Official Nintendo Wii U thread ***

Associate
OP
£599.99... again.

You were robbed then, as the PS3 was only £425 :D

I fully expect around £450 this time, though that would still be a reduction due to inflation. I'm always amazed when people expect 'cheap' consoles yet want them to be decent power for several years - especially on PC gaming sites ;)

Associate
OP
So basically you thought shopto was a competitor, so instead of breaking the rules you hinted instead which is if you read the rules, is a rule break anyway.

2/10

:p

I didn't think they were a competitor for games, but I wasn't sure about consoles, but then they're the only place allowing ordering at the moment, so.... I compromised - and yes, I've read the rules many times.

I could have just not bothered.

Associate
OP
Likely specs for those wanting to know:

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...eaked-at-e3-tri-core-cpu-15gb-ram-8gb-flash/#

For me, it's a Gamecube/Wii in 720p/1080p, and that's all that matters - I like Nintendo games - I don't want everything to be 'new' and 'next-gen' as I really don't care - it's about the gameplay I enjoy.

Sure, I'll be playing Beyond, TLOU etc. on PS3 and games like Watch Dogs on PC, but the 'grown-up' consoles will never quite match Nintendo games in some areas, and they don't need to be 'gritty photorealistic ultra-physics' titles - they just need to be fun.

Personally, with the integrated screen etc., I was expecting around £350 - just look at how much the iPad is, with less hardware (yeah yeah - a stupid-res screen that GPUs can't actually do much with), and yet people expect consoles to be cheaper.

Day 1 for me, and I'm looking forward to playing existing Wii games on the gamepad screen. Bliss.

I'm far less likely to buy the next XBox, as they have absolutely nothing I'm interested in (and I'm really hoping the Valve Linux push works well, as Windows 8 doesn't appeal).

So, I reckon the price is good, it's backwards compatible with all the existing peripherals I have on the Wii, and it will be just what I want. Sorted.

(Yes, I have a young daughter, yes I'm sick of 'shooters' and yes I'm old and like my games to have an 'easy' option when I've only got an hour after work. If that's 'casual' gaming, bring it on)

Associate
OP
Looking back over the 40 Wii games in my collection, there are few that were cross-platform (meaning PS3/360). Sure, many are 'family' games, which most gamers don't care for, but there are other titles:

(Obviously the first-party, but they're important as well)

Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2
Red Steel
Mad World
Okami
Endless Ocean 1 & 2
a boy and his blob
Trauma Center: Second Opinion
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Little King's Story (looking forward to the next one on PS3)
Another Code R
Zack & Wiki
Zelda - Twilight Princess & Skyward Sword
Kirkby's Epic Yarn
Boom Blox 1 & 2
Donkey Kong country returns
Xenoblade Chronicles

I'd love for those games to come out on PS3, but it's unlikely - LKS is unusual in that respect.

Being able to play them, and the sequels, etc. in 720p/1080p is reason enough for me to buy the WiiU. Being able to play the existing titles on the handheld screen is a bonus.

There's so much talk about 'next gen' except nobody can really define what it is. The next round of Sony & Microsoft consoles will be behind the top-end PCs, and resolution isn't really what's missing from graphics (a big hint here - how often do you find yourself watching a bluray movie, and thinking it's a bit **** at only 1080p/24 :D ),

UE4 will be excellent, and the PC will be the place to go for that. I'll likely get a PS4, as I like a lot of the Sony exclusive franchises. MS give me nothing, as I don't care for the Halo or Gears worlds.

Today, I've mostly been playing Crush3D on the 3DS. In a bit, I'll be back (again) to Dragon's Dogma on the PS3 and next week will be Lollipop Chainsaw, followed by Lego Batman 2. I'm also playing through Dead Island and Risen 2 on the PC.

Variety, etc.

I really think some people are going to be disappointed quickly when they realise how far the 'next gen' doesn't really jump from what's possible already on PC. At least there are plenty of new gaming ideas coming out, and the animation/AI are improving again.

Associate
OP
Wii U will be a HD console, just like 360/PS3 are HD consoles, there is no reason at all to expect substantially more than that.

Exactly. Nintendo promised an HD console, and that's what they'll deliver. It'll have plenty of nice touches for those looking in the right direction, but it's not trying to chase the PS/Xbox next - it's just delivering HD Nintendo gaming, with more social aspects and some asynchronous touch control thrown in (which MS alluded to with their 'glass' although they seem to think people want to read about a movie while actually watching it ?).

2k/4k is years off, and with most of the industry seemingly concentrating on phones/tablets, it's likely to stay that way until cheap chips can throw around 2k res graphics with ease.

Associate
OP
It's certainly getting interesting. That means I have two pre-orders in so far, and we'll keep waiting to see which one lasts (or if any more come along).

I seriously doubt the July 12th prediction from Amazon though...

Associate
OP
Amazon just cancelled the 199.99 preorder. Not a great sign.

It's more likely it was just an error... Supposedly the 'white' launches first, and that was on 'notify me', so it could still be that the price was correct but just announced too early.

Of course, it's unlikely any suppliers know the price just yet, as Nintendo will hold their wholesale pricing decision as long as possible.

Interesting times in the next few months ;)

Associate
OP
Well, seems with the WiiU on the middle floor of the house, I can happily play upstairs and downstairs. Add to which, Lovefilm just sent me BLOPS2, ZombiU and Epic Mickey 2, so a great weekend ahead !

Associate
OP
To anyone having network issues (not internet), Virgin Media or otherwise check if you have MAC address filtering enabled and add the WiiU MAC address as necessary.

Probably obvious, but easy to overlook.

Back
Top Bottom