Oh Hello. Also, I need help :(

Associate
I'm DonSkoy! No. I'm not a cat, just bald.

Had my Overclockers PC now for, it'll be 5yrs at the end of next month. Still been by far THE best I've owned since my very first was somewhere around '93! (yes, I am that old).
But very recently I've had my first (thankfully) major headache/problem and I have no sweet clue where to begin. I'm hoping someone here can help me. Please and thanks.
Though, since I'm not entirely sure what and where the issue lies, I do not know where to post. Perhaps someone can move this post and/or tell me a more appropriate place to post for help?

Computer doesn't like booting up. Fans begin slowing down. To the point where the PC turns itself off.
I repeat this process several times and finally (if I'm lucky) I'll get the prompt to F1 into BIOS.
It's from this point on I literally have no idea what I'm doing. I could speculate but I'd much prefer someone could maybe point me in the right direction.

Oh, and sometimes (not always, rarely in fact) I can actually get Windows to load up simply by making no changes to the BIOS but "saving" those non-changes and then it boots up. Weird.
Can't rely on this and it's extremely frustrating not being able to use properly.
I realise an upgrade is well overdue but, like I said, I've been lucky and all has been well until very recently. I don't game too often and what I have still seems adequate for my needs.
Secretly hoping Santa might leave me a nice new Motherboard, CPU and Memory.

Can't remember if I've ever posted on the form before so made a new account. Hope everyone is doing well.

Soldato
With computers you have to do troubleshooting with other parts. Since most people don't have them, the easiest way is to remove most of them and put them back in and see what's happens..

If you comfortable taking it apart, (it's almost always just clicking things in place easily)

I would start by removing all the RAM and all other cards, (network card, graphics card, ram etc, if you have them). Leave the HDD as it would boot instantly and never boot windows if that was broken.

Plug the monitor into the onboard gfx card, (most have one near the USB ports etc) although that not entirely necessary as you can normally tell by the fans and the bleeps that's it's worked..
Then plug one single piece of ram back in and see if it boots.. If it doesn't take out that piece and use another piece of ram, if it boots then you know it's that previous piece that busted.

If it doesn't boot with the most minimal amount (1 stick of ram. HDD) then it's likely the motherboard is busted or your power supply is failing. At this point a repair shop is your best bet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom