OLED or Not

Associate
Morning all, currently in a hotel can’t sleep so gonna post lol

Been a gamer 40 years desktop is the main platform I use along with all the consoles, but mainly on the PC it’s world of tanks and Warcraft. Specs wise briefly
Ryzan 9
64gb ram

I’m after a laptop, Ive had a few over the years to compliment the desktop, just so I can sit in room with wife on occasion rather than lock myself away.

I’m currently warming to an ASUs zen book pro, core i9, 4070 with OLED screen

However I know if I drop the OLED I could save a few $$$$

Reason I picked this unit is it’s light I’ve had proper gaming laptops before and they can be a bit large heavy, so if I’m doing business as I am now in a hotel taking that and works laptop would be a PITA, so the zenbook is light nice screen power is enough for what I do

But any others I should look at ?
Many thanks

Soldato
I was happy to pay the premium for OLED on my laptop. It makes it more of a pleasure to use.

As for the 4070... In a thin, light laptop it will not be using the full wattage. It'll likely be limited to 40w-70w sort of range.
Big thick gaming laptops will run full power, the thin laptops offer some gaming on the go, but not to the levels of a gaming laptop. Should be more than enough for WoT and WoW though

Associate
OP
I was happy to pay the premium for OLED on my laptop. It makes it more of a pleasure to use.

As for the 4070... In a thin, light laptop it will not be using the full wattage. It'll likely be limited to 40w-70w sort of range.
Big thick gaming laptops will run full power, the thin laptops offer some gaming on the go, but not to the levels of a gaming laptop. Should be more than enough for WoT and WoW though
Thanks Dave

I’ll prob order one today, light is key then I can pop it in same bag as works then have some fun on the nights away

Associate
OP
OLED laptop screens are expensive to replace. Be very careful if you get one.
Yeah thanks appreciate that I’ll add this to my protect my bubble account so it’s covered , I found out the hard way when my Mac retina broke was going to cost 400plus so I sacked it off and just use external now

Soldato
Yeah thanks appreciate that I’ll add this to my protect my bubble account so it’s covered , I found out the hard way when my Mac retina broke was going to cost 400plus so I sacked it off and just use external now

There's a good chance it's covered on your home contents insurance already.
I once dropped a laptop and just claimed on my contents cover

Associate
OP
I did think this, where currently looking after a parent who’s 91 so reside at his to care for him, I suppose I should try ask and see if I can twist his arm, I do know he bobbed my bikes on when I came so maybe we do have it. Thanks I’ll maybe try get it fixed You never know I may be lucky and have it written off lol. It arrives today just buying the extra 32GB of DDR5 for it and eyeing up a larger nVME most prob 2TB would like a 4 but prob premium.

Currently surfing Amazon for a laptop beanbag have an old Bekin one so added some beanbag mouse Matt but the couch potatoes ones look mega but wife will go nuts if I get that haha

Associate
OP
Just an update i ordered it and been using it briefly before Xmas Told wife I needed to check it out ha

Removed a little bloatware not much to be fair changed drivers to game ready and ran some tests

Yes screen is Devine very colourful and very fast response 0.2 m/s weirdly, ran only 1 game world of tanks Ultra settings at 2880x1880 and it manages 90 to 105 FPS which is well enough. My desktop as described above runs the 3080 and only runs at 1440p this comes in around 175 to 200 fps

I’ll run some others later next week but yeah a nice light well built laptop. Lets hope it lasts

Man of Honour
I appreciate you already have the machine. But for the benefit of others searching OLED and finding this thread, they use a lot more power than most IPS screens. So battery life will be shorter with them. Lovely screens though.

ajf

ajf

Soldato
That ASUS Zenbook sounds like the same one I was looking at.
How would that spec go for VR gaming? fairly casual usage but as I have a Quest 3 really want to take full dvantage and try some full on VR games.

Last edited:
Associate
Recently picked up an OLED Asus Zenbook, night and day difference from my old TN panel Thinkpad and still a vast improvement from many IPS panels I've seen on other laptops. If you can go for it I'd recommend it. I can't see myself going back to other panels for better or for worse :p

Back
Top Bottom