PC Shuts down during shader building on Last Of Us Part 1

Associate
im running a i9-10900k at stock with a Corsair Hydro Series H100x AIO Cooler , MSI Z490 Motherboard , RTX 3080 , 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 3600mhz. and for power supply i have a Seasonic Focus GX-1000w Gold+. This only happens when the game is building shaders i monitor it with rivatuner while its building the shaders the CPU temp is around 68c-73c while the GPU is at 50c i really dont know what the problem is here. i tried disabling XMP in the motherboard BIOS to default so the ram runs at 2133mhz ive also put an undervolt on the 3080 to rule out any possible power issue but once again the just turns off then comes back on afterwards during the Shader Building Process which puts the CPU at 100% load. This is the only game that does this and it only happens during the shader building process. this problem is incredibly frustrating and if any can help me figure it out that would be greatly appreciated.

Associate
OP
What is in the event log just prior to shutdown?
You are aware that "undervolting" can cause problems itself?

I put an undevolt on the 3080 just to decrease the temps it was doing it even without the undervolt after a lot of testing i took the side panel off my case and it never shutdown during shader building i think its a heating problem

Associate
OP
To be clear, you're saying the PC turns off and then restarts, not that only the screen turns off?

If you think the load on the CPU is causing the problem, try disabling TVB or TBT 3.0.

Does your motherboard have both power connectors plugged in?

Yes the CPU has both connectors in i even use 2 PCIe cables for my 3080 aswell no daisy chain

Associate
OP
Are you able to run a CPU and GPU stress test simultaneously without issue?

i have done a few tests with OCCT aswell i ran CPU , GPU , Memory tests with OCCT for about 20-30 mins each and no problems there. Its only when bullding shaders on last of us where is makes the CPU go to 100% load is where the problem happens the GPU only sits at like 40% because its using the CPU to build the shaders which is very intensive. The only thing that seemed to work was taking the side cover off

Associate
OP
If removing the side panel fixes or improves the issue then it's likely due to overheating. It sounds like you are running the separate CPU and GPU tests, but you need to run one has the CPU and GPU loaded at the same time as the GPU can be dumping heat into the case which will make everything hotter than just a CPU stress test alone. I think it's called Power or PSU test.

Is that the one on OCCT? and yeah your right it is deffo a heating issue ive played multiple like cyberpunk with vsync off most of the settings maxed out at 1440p and dont notice any issues ive been testing several games but i notice with Last Of Us when building the shaders after a GPU Driver update its putting a load on the system mainly the CPU that no other game does. i can confirm though and ive tested the shader building process a few times now with success leaving the side panel off. i have a really good PSU which to be honest i cant really see being an issue because its handled everything ive thrown at it so the only thing its pointing to is an airflow issue in the case or possibly a problem with my AIO. What was the Power or PSU Test btw? is it the one in OCCT? because ill try that now how long do you think i should run the test for?

Associate
OP
20-30 mins should be fine, enough for the GPU to heat up the case

ive done the test i ran it for 15 minutes on SSE instruction because AVX made my CPU heat up to 90,s real quick but during SSE Power Testing. my max temp CPU was 86c and the GPU was about 70c i also monitored the MOS temp using HWInfo and that was 88c. i do think the problem is definetly overheating

Associate
OP
What way are the AIO fans oriented?

this is basically what my system setup the exact same way i have the black version of this case with a corsair Hydro H100x mounted at the top like you in this gif fan config is all the same

220T_RGB_AIRFLOW_ColorShift.gif

Associate
OP
are you on latest drrivers for gpu and chipset? and have you monitored whether you are using up all the ram space?

yep i always make it a rule to keep everything updated i got all the drivers from the MSI website i even got the latest updates for all of them Chipset , GPU , Audio etc. On the latest version of Windows 11 aswell fully up to date

Associate
OP
another question what does the CPU Cooler Tuning do? I notice mines set to Water Cooling which is 4096w but some people saying online you should set it to Air Tower Cooling which is 255w i dont know if this is necassary or not?

Associate
OP
That just sets the power limit of the CPU. 4096w is "unlimited" and 250W is the official Intel spec. I would set it to Intel spec regardless.

when i set it to Air Cooler Tower Mode 288w when i load into windows it starts acting weird like its unstable especially when i ran Cinebench screen was starting to flicker it went back to normal when i set it back to default Water Cooling mode

Edit i set it to Air Cooler Tower Mode 288w and put the Load Line Calibration to 4 that seemed to fix that problem.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Interesting. It happens I have two B760 motherboards and have downloaded that BIOS after I saw your post. I have never seen any instability, these are not gaming PC's, but I do like the idea of running the intel baseline.

Yeah i heard about that being an issue for intel 13th and 14th gen the truth is motherboard manufactuers have been setting their own "optimized" defaults for years since back in 7th gen they basically shove as much as much voltage and power down its throat and call it a day. i was also curious if my 10th Gen 10900k was affected but i dont that problem applies to 10th gen i personally believe my issue is just an overheating problem happening in my case. Because Last Of Us Shader Building uses Oodle decrompression which is very heavy on the CPU a bit more than a typical Cinebench workload

Back
Top Bottom