Pc spec advice high budget

Soldato
So a friend wants to build a gaming rig high end no expense spared budget is 30k but mentioned he wants a great sim rig with too

I think his mad, I think <£5000 for a pc should be fine

Looking for thoughts an input on spec

Thinking
12c/16c and/intel (most games will need)
64gb of ram (just because budget allows)
He wants a 4090
Bunch of none ssds
Decent seasonic psu

As he wants low maintenance so thinking large case with slow fans and noctua cooler
Maybe a torrent +dh15

Last edited:
Associate
When you say "bunch of none SSD's" is that as well as any NVMe drives? If not, any particular reason not to?

Also a sim rig for which titles?

Easiest route is probably to point him to the high end pc's section of OcUK as at least a spec starter (and just ifnore the qatercooling portion of any spec).

Man of Honour
Yeah, £5000 would do it easily. The only way to spend more is to pick something like threadripper, but there's no point in that just for gaming.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £3,726.91 (includes delivery: £11.98)​

As he wants low maintenance so thinking large case with slow fans and noctua cooler
Maybe a torrent +dh15
A 14900K would need some temperature & power management to air cool (or even with an AIO, tbh).

Man of Honour
Has anyone done performance testing between this and 64 GB of DDR5-6000C30?
Not that I've seen. TPU had a review of the 24GB modules and they perform worse than the 32GB ones, but 48GB is dual rank so maybe they would be equal.

In terms of latency, I'd expect the 2x48 (96GB) modules to perform worse than the 64GB kit.

Last edited:
Associate
So a friend wants to build a gaming rig high end no expense spared budget is 30k but mentioned he wants a great sim rig with too

Looking for thoughts an input on spec

Thinking
12c/16c and/intel (most games will need)
64gb of ram (just because budget allows)
He wants a 4090
Bunch of none ssds
Decent seasonic psu

Maybe a torrent +dh15
30k!? Holy f*ck Knuckles! Let us know how it goes lol! You gonna build a Fu**ing time machine or something?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
He is pretty much going with this spec besides maybe more storage space and all gen5 spec and slightly more ROG version of ASU’s motherboard

his just finding a case and buy button is happenihg

Associate
@Tetras I often see people saying 64gb of ram is too much for things like gaming, even recent ones. But would you suggest getting as much memory as possible if I wanted to edit 4k videos which are going to be shot at 60-120fps?
I'm planning to replace my old gaming rig in a few months time. Probably with a budget of under £4000 with no monitor.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
@Tetras I often see people saying 64gb of ram is too much for things like gaming, even recent ones. But would you suggest getting as much memory as possible if I wanted to edit 4k videos which are going to be shot at 60-120fps?
I'm planning to replace my old gaming rig in a few months time.
I'm not an expert on video editing, but generally speaking: I'd say it depends on your budget, I mean... if you have a small budget, getting a i3-12100 with 64GB is unlikely to be a good move, but if your budget is large enough to buy everything else you want, then I don't see why not.

Upgrading to 4 sticks is unfortunately not simple with DDR5, so if you have enough money I'd definitely advocate getting more to start with, if you think you'll need it in the future.

If you're doing much video editing already, you can check how much RAM you're using with task manager.

You'd need to check how much your app is using the GPU too, cos GPU usage is only increasing over time. The 3060 12GB has been a popular card for creators for awhile now.

Associate
@Tetras Thank you. I haven't really done any video editing yet, I just don't want to be starting off on the wrong foot, All the latest action cameras keep pushing higher resolutions and frame rates. I can't wait to mess around with slo motion, maybe splurge on some nice editing software too.

Man of Honour
@Tetras Thank you. I haven't really done any video editing yet, I just don't want to be starting off on the wrong foot, All the latest action cameras keep pushing higher resolutions and frame rates. I can't wait to mess around with slo motion, maybe splurge on some nice editing software too.
Ahh, I see. Well, if you don't want to go up to 64GB, another alternative is to get a 48GB kit, though you may need a BIOS update to make that 100% stable if your motherboard is from old stock.

There are quite a few videos on YouTube about video editing, so I'd suggest having a scoot around.

This is a good channel:

and Puget has useful benchmarks too.

Once you know what software you're going to use, you can do more specific research about the hardware to pick.

Back
Top Bottom