Pilot Sport 4 tyres

Soldato
I currently have these on all 4 corners of my S5, but the rears are nearing legal limit so wanting to replace. Fronts only done earlier this year so they have about 2k on them only.

Issue is, I am finding that I can get PS4S and PS5 tyres everywhere, but not the PS4. Have they been discontinued?

Would it be a poor choice to put PS5 on rear only?

Soldato
While it is preferable to have matching tyres all round, in this case, PS5's on rear and PS4's on front would be fine.

Soldato
OP
While it is preferable to have matching tyres all round, in this case, PS5's on rear and PS4's on front would be fine.

This is always my thinking. All 4 corners matching.

As its constantly quattro, and 60% rear bias, this was my concern to have a different grip pattern on the rear in relation to the front driven wheels.

Associate
This is always my thinking. All 4 corners matching.

As its constantly quattro, and 60% rear bias, this was my concern to have a different grip pattern on the rear in relation to the front driven wheels.

Although it's a concern the Audi have a centre differential so the difference will be fine, unlike the later Subaru's where it will flag a fault with the drive system if the tyres are unequal.

Unless your driving like Colin McRae everywhere then I doubt you would even notice

Last edited:
Associate
You'll still end up with uneven wear front to back unless you are changing them around every few months.
Agreed, the fronts tend to always wear quicker as they are the turning wheels and when going round corners they have the weight of the car pushing against them, hence the fronts tend to wear first whether 4 wheel drive or not

Soldato
You'll still end up with uneven wear front to back unless you are changing them around every few months.

Maybe range driven between changes has some impact; as I'm not experiencing this. I swap front to back once a year, travel about 3000 miles a year and tread difference between front and back stays around 0.1mm

Soldato
OP
I'm doing about 10-12k a year.

Fronts are different tread depth due to a problem I had that destroyed a front tyre, so I replaced the both on the front. This took rear and front out of sync a bit.

Back
Top Bottom