Pimax Portal

Soldato
Well this nutty thing was announced last night and i was flabbergasted at the price…

What do you guys think? Overly complicated jack of all trades or potentially an interesting idea? It’s got some cool ideas but just strikes me as an incredibly over ambitious device with an excessively complex ecosystem of modularity.

Long story short - a handheld XR2 based Nintendo switch style portable gaming unit (with some cool SLAM based AR abilities to be honest), which can transform into a fairly well specced VR headset, including wireless and a mini hdmi connection for native PCVR.

Last edited:
Associate
I think Pimax should concentrate on making sure thre Crystal is on time (it's already late) and is in good shape ready for its customers. They should also do the same for the 12K. They have a history of bringing out new products before old ones are ready or in a fit state. It's Pimax being Pimax :D

That said, Portal is unique and ambitious, good luck to them.

Associate
I always feel like Pimax is more interested in making headlines and pushing products out in order to attract a buyer for the company rather than customers for its products.

What I'd like to see is them nail the Crystal headsets, use what they have learnt and get it right, build a reputation for quality and reliability. The 12k QLED looks interesting but so so many areas it can trip up, get good quality units in the hands of reviwers then let's talk imho

All this Portal stuff is I think just to be 1st to market and fishing for a takeover from Meta, Apple or Nvidia.

Soldato
The idea of this was almost universally panned, almost everyone said it'd be a waste of time and was telling Pimax not to bother, concentrate on the Crystal and 12K instead, and they were right it seems.

Yeah, I've lost count of the number of people going about town with a steamdeck in a google cardboard strapped to their face.

Back
Top Bottom