Plastering/ceiling advice

Soldato
Evening chaps

I'm after a little advice from the guys in the know if you don't mind :)

Long story short-bought my first house-wallpapered top to bottom with that textured wood chip stuff. Budgeted for some plaster work and ceiling etc but I would like some opinions as this is my first proper involvement on this kind of stuff.

What I've done is stripped the wallpaper completely-all the walls and ceilings, this has inevitably revealed some poorly plasterwork!

1st question.
I have started with a 3" bolster to remove any hollow/loose sounding plaster on the theory that there's no point removing good plaster.
Is this the best plan of attack and then get a plasterer in to finish the job or am I better off boarding everywhere and skimming?

2ndly
A couple of the ceilings are no longer flat, I'm thinking of pulling them down (not all lath and plaster!) and just boarding out from scratch, some ceilings seem flat but have been patched in the past or have cracked so would it be ok to find the joists and just screw new board on top of the existing ceiling?

I want to do the job properly whilst we're in a position to still live elsewhere until the work is done (thanks mum :)) but equally this isn't a money-no-object project as it really is!

Apologies if these are daft questions but any help it thoughts are massively appreciated :)

Many thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yeah I'm an advocate of good ppe.

Looks like its best to replace all of the ceiling then instead of boarding over/repairing.

Any thoughts on the walls? I guess ceilings want doing before walls anyway

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Plasterboard lift? I'll have a google.

All the ceilings are coming down then :) I've had the pleasures of stripping a lathe and plaster house some years ago... good times!

I've got me a hard hat. What size board would you recommend? 2400x1200x12.5? and also square or taper edge? (I think it's meant to be taper isn't it?)

Soldato
OP
I was just gonna use 12.5mm 2400x1200 for all of my boarding needs on the basis that that I'll need them delivering either way and a pallet full must be cheaper than x amount of one size and y if another.

Square edge for everything that is being skimmed is it?

Back
Top Bottom