Project "Generation Station"

Soldato
My mate and I spent several hours on a Saturday night watching lots of old videos on YouTube of retro games.

Modern games just aren't doing it for me at the minute so I decided to source and invest in some retro stuff.

I also have my PC (spec in sig) a PS4 and Xbox-one

The First Three
timthumb.php

Original in mint condition
timthumb.php

Temporary TV
timthumb.php

Then came the Dreamcast
timthumb.php

With of course a copy of Shenmue
timthumb.php

Controllers were a bit knackered so I ordered some new ones
timthumb.php

The Station so far
timthumb.php

Waiting for this to arrive
timthumb.php

The space in the middle on the bottom shelf is reserved for a Gamecube.

I think I've spent around £200 so far and for that I've got:
  • TV
  • SNES
  • PS1
  • PS2
  • PS3
  • XBOX
  • Dreamcast
  • Gamecube

Extra's that I've bought
  • 2x controllers for each console
  • Scart RCA adapters for each console
  • A few software titles.

Maybe List:
  • Mega Drive II
  • N64
  • Wii

Soldato
OP
I'm really wondering... is there no way to convert Scart/composite (red/white/yellow) to HDMI (or even DVI/VGA to plug into a monitor)? I know that there's DIY modded NES out there with HDMI. Would be nicer to be able to play these old games on a bigger screen. So what if the pixels are noticable. These old systems do local multiplayer a lot better (more games that supported it) and bigger screen = more space for each player. Would do wonders for things like Goldeneye, Halo and Mario Kart.

Retro games and consoles look absolutely awful on modern LED/LCD screens.

They should NEVER be played on anything other than a CRT set. :D

Soldato
OP
HDMI is a data cable so as long as it's compliant with the HDMI standard then spending extra money yields no benefit at all.

Look up Linus Tech tips on YouTube. He did a comparison with a HDMI cable that cost a fortune and it made zero difference.

Does the OP realise that he can play PS1 games on the PS2 or PS3?

Yes I do, but it's not the same. Nothing can replicate that PS1 boot up sound :D

Soldato
OP
Hopefully it's a model one? If so I highly recommend getting the RGB scart cable with the stereo jack from https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk

I'd also recommend getting it region free modded. Playing on a PAL system at 50Hz with a squashed picture isnt great in comparison. Especially the games that weren't optimised for PAL TV's and have slow music.

Yeah its a model one :) thanks for the tips.

Soldato
OP
Been debating a retro game collection for some time now but always find something else peaks my interest (and finances). Would like to specially collect for N64 but I imagine finding boxed games is nigh on impossible.

That's half the fun, finding the games :)

I still dig my gamecube out to play Zelda windwaker..its still such a lovely game

I've really been trying to get in to it, but the in-ability to invert the X axis on the controller is really doing my nut in :(

Back
Top Bottom