Proving to O2 my Note 2 was not rooted

Associate
Last week my Samsung Note 2 was stuck on the Samsung Boot Screen.
Switched it off and on took battery off tried the hard reset key combo and nothing worked. After all that it doesn't power on at all. I just get the battery icon if I plug it in.

Took it to O2 who sent it to the repair centre. Got a message that the repair is not covered under warranty.
Went to the O2 shop where we called the repair centre and they say the phone has been rooted. I insisted I hadn't until they said they will reassess, but likelihood is they come up with the same BS.

O2 shop dude was helpful and said I should get them to prove my phone was rooted and to provide me that proof. Not sure what I should be asking for as proof though.

So any help in proving my phone was not rooted would be appreciated.

For the record I have never rooted it or even tried and every app was either from the Play store or the samsung store.

Associate
OP
Well its 2 weeks they have had it now and i hadn't heard from them so called the O2 repair company directly.
The told me the "request" to reassess was rejected and that the engineer was a senior Samsung engineer and doesn't need to see it again. When i asked for the full diagnostics they said "foreign software" was all that was written and they wouldn't even provide the name of the engineer who worked on it.
They never bothered to tell me this and I had to call them.

They refused to discuss anything further and said i have to call customer services to raise the matter further.

Called Customer services who simply called the same person i spoke to at the repair centre to request more information. But it is just more information, not a repair, which means more waiting time as I despute their findings.

My options are to pay the repair fee which is £73 (if I had rooted thats a reasonable amount to pay) or to request the phone back and send it to Samsung instead.

Anyone have experience of dealing with Samsung directly?

Awful awful service from O2.
Will not be signing on again with them.

Associate
OP
Thank you for that. Maybe that will help me if they listen.

With regards before/after 6month ruling. can you provide a reference so i can pass on this information to O2.

I think l when I handed my phone to the store it was less than 6 months old, but now its gone over.

Associate
OP
This is turning into a joke.

I followed all your guys advice. So they have a report, but will only send it IF i refuse the quotation and they send the phone back. which is a huge waste of time as its 5 working days to get the phone back. Plus that will take it over the 6 month threshold. So if samsung take it then they are not under the same obligations. or is that not the case?

This is not just the repair centre, this is O2 being utter *****s.

I'm going to contact O2 head office.

Associate
OP
An update on my end.

Refused the repair and guess what? they didn't bother sending any report or evidence.

Managed to get an email address of an O2 CEO. Sent an email with details of how the repair service has been. 2 days later, they're sending me a refurb phone and giving me 1 month free line rental.

O2 has generally been okay and the staff have tried to help, but they do seem to have their hands tied with regards dealing with the outsourced repairs.

Very bad experience with my first Samsung. Will probably get a Sony next time.

Now how do I check that the phone they sent me is not rooted, so this doesn't happen again.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Obvious troll is obvious.

Not at all. I had an iPhone previous to this and had the button stop working 1 month after the 12 month warranty. Initially they wanted payment but a bit of persuasion and I got a replacement phone that same day. Not 3 weeks later.

The difference in customer service is night and day and if Apples next phone is more interesting that extra service can be enough to sway me.

Back
Top Bottom