PS4 Harddrive upgrade query ?

Associate
Well im about to upgrade my PS4 and am going the sata extension/molex route in order to use a 4tb 3.5" drive as that gets me a far better performance/price per gb ratio now ive seen many vids on you-tube comparing load times of ssd vs sshds vs bog standard 2.5" drives and the difference is quite noticeable overall normally around 15%-25% for a SSHD for instance as to many games now on the PS4 have ridiculously long loading times so my question is what do you think would have overall best performance a WD Black 4tb a Toshiba X300 4TB 128MB 7200RPM or a Seagate 4tb SSHD ?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well there's enough vids on You-tube Digital Foundry have done many now and the speed differences are quite noticeable 15-25% on average for an SSHD SSD even faster but i cant find a higher spec/speed mechanical drive to compare against as the standard 2.5" drives are slow as hell and much more expensive per GB than me buying a full size/speed 4tb and Sata/Molexing it up a 2tb aint going to cut it for the lifespan of the PS4 for me.

Associate
OP
A 20% increase in all loading times before/during gameplay is Huge and i know many now who's 2tb drives are starting to get full when you consider around a 10yr lifespan of the PS4 and PS+ PSN and installed mandatory based games and massive GB endless updates/patches id say 3.5tb usable isn't that big to be fair, to me it doesn't make sense buying a slow crappy drive and paying more per GB for the pleasure, i done this when the PS3 came out and the biggest 2.5" drive on the market was 250gb i sata/molex in a 3.5" Samsung F1 1tb and immediately noticed a much quicker system and game loading and payed about the same price as the then current 2.5" 250gb drives.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
So i ended picking up a new 3.5" 2tb WD Black harddrive as i got it on a half price deal for £50 never owned a black before but obviously know of their reputation.

Back
Top Bottom