PSU Cable Replacement

Associate
I have a Corsair CX650F RGB PSU and I'm wanting to replace the cables for coloured ones.
Which type & gen do I get? Not sure if I found the correct info which is Type 4 Gen 4.

Corsair Premium Individually Sleeved ATX 24-Pin Cable Type 4 Gen 4 – Red​

How important is this spec.?
New to PC building and don't want to mess something up.

Man of Honour
According to Corsair's cable compatibility chart your psu isn't even on the list so it looks like you can't get cables for it. You can't just use any cable because the pinouts vary from manufacturer to manufacturer (Corsair doesn't actually make any psu's) and even in the same series of psu so the wrong cable will be a expensive mistake and something will be fried.

You do have a second, cheaper option though. If you have the room in your case to hide the extra length you can use cable extensions which will work with all psu's as they only plug onto the end of the existing cables. The cable extension sets are very good value for money and many come with cable combs to tidy the cables up. OCUK's range of cable extensions can be found here. Any brand of cable extension will fit any brand of psu so you don't need to stick with one brand. I have used Bitfenix and Phanteks extensions in the past and have had zero problems with either. If buying now I would take a good look at the Kolink Core Adept sets as they seem very good value for money seeing as they use 16awg cables (many others only use 18awg).

Associate
OP
According to Corsair's cable compatibility chart your psu isn't even on the list so it looks like you can't get cables for it. You can't just use any cable because the pinouts vary from manufacturer to manufacturer (Corsair doesn't actually make any psu's) and even in the same series of psu so the wrong cable will be a expensive mistake and something will be fried.

You do have a second, cheaper option though. If you have the room in your case to hide the extra length you can use cable extensions which will work with all psu's as they only plug onto the end of the existing cables. The cable extension sets are very good value for money and many come with cable combs to tidy the cables up. OCUK's range of cable extensions can be found here. Any brand of cable extension will fit any brand of psu so you don't need to stick with one brand. I have used Bitfenix and Phanteks extensions in the past and have had zero problems with either. If buying now I would take a good look at the Kolink Core Adept sets as they seem very good value for money seeing as they use 16awg cables (many others only use 18awg).
I found this site.

Associate
OP
I found this site.

That's a good alternative. I should be able to use them.
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom