Quiet and Cool, which ITX is it in 2024?

Soldato
I've got the Fractal Terra at the top of my list for an ITX build but I'm wondering if there's any others I should consider for a system that could be fairly quiet but also have decent cooling capacity? I'm aware of the Terra having some acoustic issues but hoping I can work around them with a fan below the heatsink (i.e. LH12S) and the GPU fans right up against the panel.

I've previously had an NR200P and wouldn't mind going back to that if I can't settle on a Terra.

Anything else I should consider? Top budget of £200 for the case really but would be happy to be half that.

Associate
Can't help on the case suggestion side but you may find standing the gpu a few mm back can lead to less overall noise caused by turbulence between the case and the GPU fans.

Associate
Formd T1 just got a new, positive build video from Optimum on YT, looks slick and slightly smaller than the Terra - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_Epp83VOBI

Think it would be at the top end of your budget though. There's also the SSUPD cases where you'd definitely get good air temps, but they typically measure a bit higher for noise as there's so little material to dampen any sounds. Might balance out with being able to have lower fan curves though.

I've got the NR200 and tbh given price, performance + how easy it is to build in, I didn't find anything more compelling around that size. My 7900xtx in it is (without any bottom intake fans) typically at 45-50 degrees when playing games at 1440p. 5800x cpu runs a bit hotter at 75-79 degrees, I think partially because my paste application wasn't great but also regret slightly going for a low profile Noctua L12S cooler, could have easily fit a more performant (and cheaper) one in a standard orientation.

Last edited:
Associate
I also encourage you to go back to the NR200 v1 because it is that good and to my mind nothing comes close to it at its current price.

Soldato
OP
I've ended up going for the Corsair Air 2000D which is probably slightly outside the realms of the the sizes I was originally aiming for, and a leap away in terms of aesthetics but I must put function over form on this one.

It has some decent options for cooling (360mm rad or big CPU Coolers like the NH-D15) which ultimately means it can all be a bit quieter too.

Associate
Interested to know how your build goes. I think I'm going to pick up the 2000D as well. Curious to try the vertical approach but don't really want to be limited by the AIO in the NCORE case.

Soldato
I've got the Fractal Terra at the top of my list for an ITX build but I'm wondering if there's any others I should consider for a system that could be fairly quiet but also have decent cooling capacity?

What is your use case? If you're not gaming then look at a NUC, for instance.

Soldato
OP
Interested to know how your build goes. I think I'm going to pick up the 2000D as well. Curious to try the vertical approach but don't really want to be limited by the AIO in the NCORE case.

All went well really. My only immediate recommendation would be to get your PSU cables in before mounting it in the case. That was the biggest faff and took quite some time to get right.

I've got a big old Noctua NH-D15 in here which fits fine apart from restricting the front fans to being 15mm slims only.

If you want a quiet build make sure you pick the board carefully. A lot of them have fans for the VRM and they can be quite audible at ~6000rpm. Some let you control the fanspeed however.

Yep, solid point, ended up with an ASUS B650E-I which was the best of a bad bunch for this chipset.

What is your use case? If you're not gaming then look at a NUC, for instance.
Light-Medium gaming, all up and running now with a 7600 and a 4070 Super! Went big on the CPU cooler to account for any future upgrades but can't see it needing a better CPU for a while. I use a NUC for work but for an expensive machine then I'd rather have something easily serviceable when warranty periods are over with.

Associate
Nice! Currently got a 280mm Fractal AIO that I'll be putting in along with some 140mm slims that have been doing well in my C4.
All went well really. My only immediate recommendation would be to get your PSU cables in before mounting it in the case. That was the biggest faff and took quite some time to get right.

I've got a big old Noctua NH-D15 in here which fits fine apart from restricting the front fans to being 15mm slims only.

Nice! Thanks for the tip. Currently running a Dan C4 with a 280mm AIO and a couple of slim 140mm fans, so I'm hoping that'll all fit nicely. I was worried about the GPU fitment, but from what I can see, your 4070 is such a chonker, it's actually bigger than mine, so it was reassuring in terms of fit!

Back
Top Bottom