RAF and RN Harriers

Associate
Took a long overdue visit to Cottesmore on Tuesday (27/04/10) and did rather well. Eleven Harriers and the final flight of Nimrod MR2 XV226 in two hours!

I then took a brief visit to RAF Cranwell and RAF Waddington to catch a couple of visiting aircraft.

The full selection can be found on my site: http://www.fast-air.co.uk/RAF-Cottesmore-Pictures-100429.htm

RAF-Harrier-GR9A-ZG505-1-Sqn-Photo-1.jpg

RAF-Harrier-GR9-ZD375-4-Sqn-Photo-1.jpg

RAF-Harrier-GR9A-ZD433-1-Sqn-Sniper-Photo-1.jpg

Nimrod-MR2-XV226-Photo-1.jpg

RN-Harrier-GR9-ZD406-NSW-Photo-1.jpg

FAF-Alpha-Jet-E129-314-LP-Photo-2.jpg

BAe-125-CC3-ZD703-32-Sqn-Photo-1.jpg

RAF-Harrier-GR9-ZG480-1-Sqn-Photo-1.jpg

Last edited:
All shot from outside the base. Cottesmore is the last of the old style RAF Stations which don't have 2m tall fences.

If runway 22 is in use you get some excellent points to take photos from.

Unless you know someone stationed there you won't have a clue if they will be flying. Generally speaking they fly between 9am and 6pm Mon to Fri but they may fly outside this or not at all.

I pick a day and take my chances, if nothing if happening I'll move on elsewhere.

Cottesmore is a quieter station than some others and only one runway is really shootable so it is a bit if a risk but on the right day it's a great place to be.

great pics as usual, might take a trip to shawbury for the nimrod arrival 25th may. best lens I have is a sigma 70-300 apo dg, so I may struggle if the light is poor!

Problem with Shawbury to Cosford is getting it over the railway bridge. Last time they did it they had ground clearance problems.

You can land a Nimrod at Cosford, it all depends on if H&S decide it's too risky.

Back
Top Bottom