Re-install Windows 11

Associate
Have a need to re-install Windows 11 pro again. Tried all but no option but to re-install.

1. What is the best way to do this?

2. Do I need to disconnect all but the C drive? If I do not, I assume windows install will give me a choice as to where to install it?

Soldato
What about a reset? Settings, then System and Recovery. Click on 'Reset PC'. You can choose whether to keep files or not.

Failing this, download the ISO and run it. The installer should ask you which drive you want to install to during setup.

Associate
OP
What about a reset? Settings, then System and Recovery. Click on 'Reset PC'. You can choose whether to keep files or not.

Failing this, download the ISO and run it. The installer should ask you which drive you want to install to during setup.
What is the difference between the two methods? I suspect my profile files might be corrupted

Soldato
I would try the reset first tbh and if no luck, then clean install.

Some folk will just go straight for a clean install and quick format during the process.

This goes back to the times when a ‘reset’ wasn’t an option :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I would try the reset first tbh and if no luck, then clean install.

Some folk will just go straight for a clean install and quick format during the process.

This goes back to the times when a ‘reset’ wasn’t an option :)

One more thing - should I disconnect other drives (remove SATA cables) except for the Windows Drive? Is this likely to cause issues after the reinstall? I can always rearrange the Drive letters

Last edited:
Soldato
This used to be a thing to prevent Windows installing critical boot files on the wrong drive but I don’t believe it’s an issue these days tbh. Could do it as a precaution I guess…

Soldato
What is the difference between the two methods? I suspect my profile files might be corrupted

If it's just your profile, then why not create a new admin user, reboot - login as new user (or do it in safe mode) and rename your old profile. When you log back in it should need to refresh it from online. you can then manually move files over if any are missing as they are still on your drive.

This use to work, but I did stop doing support 15 years ago :) I'd be surprised if you can't do that in c:\users though.

Soldato
Have a need to re-install Windows 11 pro again. Tried all but no option but to re-install.

1. What is the best way to do this?

2. Do I need to disconnect all but the C drive? If I do not, I assume windows install will give me a choice as to where to install it?

I would download it on to a USB stick and go from there.

Before you do that, though, go in to the Windows Store and download one of those apps for extracting your windows key.

If you need to wipe the drives before you install then I usually find that it's best to remove all drives except the one you want Windows on. This is to ensure the BIOS doesn't get confused and install a boot manager.

Associate
OP
If it's just your profile, then why not create a new admin user, reboot - login as new user (or do it in safe mode) and rename your old profile. When you log back in it should need to refresh it from online. you can then manually move files over if any are missing as they are still on your drive.

This use to work, but I did stop doing support 15 years ago :) I'd be surprised if you can't do that in c:\users though.

Tried that but the new profile login for some reason does not show the Task Bar at the bottom. Tried google but no luck so far

Associate
OP

Before you do that, though, go in to the Windows Store and download one of those apps for extracting your windows key.

If you need to wipe the drives before you install then I usually find that it's best to remove all drives except the one you want Windows on. This is to ensure the BIOS doesn't get confused and install a boot manager.

Thanks. Windows (C drive) is on SSD NVMe M2. So, if I disconnect the other 4 drives (remove SATA cables at the back of them), will there be connection / recognition issues when I reconnect them after Windows reinstall?

Soldato

I had done that in the past, usually to avoid myself from formatting the wrong drive. However, I have not done that for a long time. For some unplugging a drive isn't always an easy option, understanding you mentioned SATA, if you have multiple NVME drives fitted into your motherboard.
Heck, I would need to remove my GPU and a large heatsink that covers three of them, irrc, just to get access.

When I recently installed W11 on a PC that had several drives attached, and a SSD to install Windows on, I just left everything attached and it worked out fine.

Associate
OP
I had done that in the past, usually to avoid myself from formatting the wrong drive. However, I have not done that for a long time. For some unplugging a drive isn't always an easy option, understanding you mentioned SATA, if you have multiple NVME drives fitted into your motherboard.
Heck, I would need to remove my GPU and a large heatsink that covers three of them, irrc, just to get access.

When I recently installed W11 on a PC that had several drives attached, and a SSD to install Windows on, I just left everything attached and it worked out fine.

I only have one NVME so I can avoid the GPU removal hassle!! 4 SATA HDDs

Soldato
I only have one NVME so I can avoid the GPU removal hassle!! 4 SATA HDDs
That's good. Wishing you the very best. For some reason, more so these days, the thought of having to do a full install fills me with dread. When you do get up and going, with drivers etc, consider doing a Macrium backup of the drive and then do another one when you have it configured with apps and games etc. Easy enough to restore then.

Associate
OP
That's good. Wishing you the very best. For some reason, more so these days, the thought of having to do a full install fills me with dread. When you do get up and going, with drivers etc, consider doing a Macrium backup of the drive and then do another one when you have it configured with apps and games etc. Easy enough to restore then.

I dread it too! Considering I have not done one for 7 years now, it is long overdue with a lot of junk around the Registry etc. Besides I have problems with PIN, Hello etc, so might do me good. I use Acronis backups, so, worst come scenario, I can come back to today's position (Drive cloned backup this morning)

Back
Top Bottom