Recent NYC trippers i got a question.

Caporegime
How did you get on with being IDed for stuff on your trip?

Im reading a lot of compulsory IDs being needed for bars, its policy even if you look 40 you need to prove it.. stupid, its the law... OK.

The other thing which is a possibly true. ID cards when going to a museum or entry to a tourist attraction?

Some people saying they are carrying their passports 24/7 others saying any photo ID will do. Even a Sweden issued one in my case.

I am completely 100% uncomfortable with carry my passport around day to day.

If anything did happen god forbid losing that would be a holiday breaker.... ID card... Ok whatever

Caporegime
OP
The biggest one that's I'm worried about. On behalf of my nagging wife, who's driving me quietly mad on the matter is, she thinks we are going to be IDed going into museums, attractions, up empire state buildings, even into Broadway shows......

Given The tight itinerary we've given ourselves going back to the hotel to grab a passport is gonna be a bloody nightmare......

I'm now reading take another photo I'd (drivers licence) and have a copy of the passport on your phone.

She had her bag stolen first trip she ever took to London lol, so I think she's got a bit of a thing going on here....

I'm clumsy and stupid I don't wanna just drop it while buying a sandwich

Caporegime
OP
Nearly done here.. 1 more day and that's gonna be central park and museums on bikes.
I'm done.... Ten days too much for country boy efour.

Katz deli.... Hell of an overrated sandwich..some guys must have never eaten bread and meat before. Maybe just can't cook themselves?

Caporegime
OP
Yeah I tipped but the guy I had was a kid barely 18.
The guy next to us washing handing out free slices of everything.
I dunno if we got extra meat tbh.
The whole experience was cool but insanely over hyped.

We had a couple of cheesesteaks a few days before and they were well on par if not much better.

Meat bread and mustard ain't rocket science, maybe I'm just used to eating like s fat got everyday
:don't get me wrong I loved it but I was expecting a lot more from all that hype.

corned beef and pastrami both on rye

Caporegime
OP
Back home now and can reflect.

We got IDed twice. Once in Washington Arlington cemetery and once, very strictly, at a recording of

The Late Show With Stephen Colbert.​

They were crazy about it. Passport only too. Bit we were prepared. Was actually worth it was funny and interesting to see it working too.

95% of the street vendors in NYC are garbage. Rip off ******** selling overpriced ****. They see you're a tourist and just try to fleece you. Even the better ones are expensive. $20 göt some reheated chicken on some rice...
Yeah no thanks.. do it once then not again All food in NYC is expensive. Even supermarkets are crazy, fresh produce crazy. Milk crazy, dunno how normal folk survive there.
Had some conversations with guys in the supermarket about it all agreed that post covid ***** got Unreal and they ain't sure how much more it/they can take.
Subway is a functional dump. Sad how it can be such a state.
Homelessness is constant, same as any big city.
We did have a blast in ten days, definitely do some things differently for convenience, the weather was 50/50 and messed up a few plans.

I have a lot of trouble relating to peoples opinions and reviews became I myself am a Londoner, a pretty big world city.
Museums and galleries have to be pretty special to impress me, I'm spoilt Im lucky i know this. But NYC stands out for it's sheer scale it's basically London X10.
It's not "better" just bigger louder and more over the top.

It's a very thin veneer of culture and style over an absolute mountain of *****.
I suspect that veneer is getting thinner every year.
Great trip overall. For a non city dweller these mega cities must be other worldly mind blowing experiences.
I'm glad I can say I am a Londoner. It does give you a good footing on the rest of the world.

I think we gonna try Japan next year.
That will be comfort zone -100 :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
That's the multilingual guy I believe.
Yes he's echoing pretty much what most people I watched are saying and thinking.
The circuit "right to repair guy" that's crusading against the ridiculous traps that many tech/machine companies have... Can't remember his name... Anyway he shut up his business, fed up with the way NY had gone.
It's like any city really, it goes through cycles.
NYC feels like a place that was better, has been better.
I'm glad o don't live in any city anymore :p

Louis rossman ... That's his name. Smart guy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom