Recommendations for FTTP Router?

Associate
OP
911 for many, but apparently it isn’t in certain locations.

@Hatake have you cloned the MAC from the supplied router or reset the ONT? You do need to set the correct VLAN and after that it’s just a PPoE connection iirc.
Reset the ONT multiple times to no effect. Cloning MAC addresses is a little beyond my networking knowledge.

Unbelievably, Vodafone have given me a completely different PPPoE username and password now. I asked them to confirm it and they insist this is the right one. The vodafone forums weren't kidding when they said customer service were notorious for giving out wrong details. Lets see if this gets me anywhere

Associate
Reset the ONT multiple times to no effect. Cloning MAC addresses is a little beyond my networking knowledge.

Unbelievably, Vodafone have given me a completely different PPPoE username and password now. I asked them to confirm it and they insist this is the right one. The vodafone forums weren't kidding when they said customer service were notorious for giving out wrong details. Lets see if this gets me anywhere
Make sure you copy/paste what they give you sometimes you can read an l as a I or whatever.

Some of the confusion comes from them having a VoIP service where most people have contacted them for VoIP username and password.

Associate
OP
Finally got the VR900 working by complete accident.

The Vodafone router was acting up so I power cycled the router and ONT box and for some unknown reason, the router reset itself back to the default WiFi name for a few minutes before dropping out entirely. I called Vodafone and they said they had to configure the router manually from their side as it wasn't doing it automatically. After 90 minutes of hard resetting, power cycling, unplugging and waiting, flipping the LAN cable around (I suspect he was getting desperate by this point), etc, it still didn't work. His final suggestion was to unplug it for an hour and then try again.

I asked again for the PPPoE details as it was clear he was out of ideas and his shift was finishing. He gave me the dsl part and password, which matched the one I received on the 3rd April (which didn't work then), but it was missing the "@broadband.vodafone.co.uk" part. I plugged in the VR900 since it was still setup with those details (including the @broadband.... part, no cloning of MAC) and it connected immediately.

I'm guessing that's why the call was 90 minutes long with no result, he was using the wrong login. No wonder Vodafone get a bad rep, if you got weak computer skills, you're in for a bad time when things go wrong as their hardware is poor and tech support have minimal training.

Back
Top Bottom