Reducing tyre smoke when locking up?

Soldato
I've just been watching a F1 crash compilation. In particular there was one where Grosjean span in the middle of the track. His car was concealed by the smoke generated by the tyres locking up and someone crashed into him. Smoke in general is, of course, very dangerous for following cars as it impedes visibility. Has any work been done to reduce the smoke generated?

Soldato
I don't think they tend to smoke much just from a lock up.

I recall Grosjean doing what was in effect a massive burnout/doughnut once when spinning but there's not much you can do when a driver keeps his foot planted and spins the wheels up like that.

Soldato
I doubt there's much that can be done about it. It's down to the materials in the tyre causing the smoke when superheated, which would be pretty much impossible to change without making the tyres pretty useless in terms of grip.

I don't think it's enough of an issue to warrant reinventing the tyre.

Soldato
I feel like smoke is unavoidable. It's just the way it is when heat is generated against the surface of tires and tarmac..... It's like asking if they should do something about gravity.....

Soldato
OP
I feel like smoke is unavoidable. It's just the way it is when heat is generated against the surface of tires and tarmac..... It's like asking if they should do something about gravity.....

Why? Rubber is just a vulcanised hydrocarbon (isoprene), isn't it? And hydrocarbons decompose to water and CO2, the latter of which is invisible.. So I wonder if vulcanising with something other than sulphur might be beneficial?

Soldato
You say not to fixate on the Grosjean example but I don't really recall excess tyre smoke being an issue when you don't have drivers spinning the wheels up like that.

As we saw today with Leclerc - simply spinning off doesn't really generate much smoke.

Soldato
OP
You say not to fixate on the Grosjean example but I don't really recall excess tyre smoke being an issue when you don't have drivers spinning the wheels up like that.

I've seen other incidents where locking up has generated significant smoke which has impacted drivers behind. Not necessarily causing crashes, but more than enough to impact visibility.

Soldato
You say don't fixate on that Grosean incident, but it's that only one you mentioned. Have you actually got any other examples of this causing an issue?

Soldato
This is a non starter even is someone was killed directly from tyre smoke impeding visibility as a one off. It would be extremely rare for just tyre smoke to contribute directly to a big incident. I can't remember one even happening. It's usually gravel/dust from going off track which causes visibility issues. I remember a really bad one where a car rolled etc, and then kind of finished on the racing line but among a dust cloud blowing across the track and then someone collected him bad. I still think they all survived. Don't think it was F1.

Back
Top Bottom