REFS - is it now stable for end-users?

Soldato
I noticed the REFS option as a file system when formatting one of my external drives under Windows 10, something I've not seen (or noticed) until now. So I'm guessing a Windows update has enabled REFS in Windows 10 (and 11 too?) for end-users.

Is REFS safe to use on normal hard drives, as well as external hard drives and flashdrives?

Don
The issue is I don't think Microsoft have the engineers or even the management to create a reliable filesystem.
NTFS was developed, had relatively few versions and scaled for the future. ReFS has already had numerous versions, well known bugs and I don't think is robust enough that anyone should consider it.

There's some more discussion in it here:

Soldato
Have a read through the overview of the filesystem and decide whether the things it brings to the table are things you need from a filesystem.

For a normal drive, the answer is probably not and NTFS remains the go-to for a general purpose Windows filesystem.

Man of Honour
Outside of specific/niche applications I wouldn't bother personally, NTFS is far too convenient for overall use.

NTFS does need replacing really, not that there are huge problems with it, but it is outdated now in many respects, but it isn't an easy thing to happen given how much is centric to FAT32 and NTFS even now.

Soldato
Is REFS safe to use on normal hard drives, as well as external hard drives and flashdrives?
Nothings safe, that's why data should be backed up.

If you mean will it poop its pants then the answer is probably not, from what i understand it's mainly been used in data centres for storage so if they're using it for bulk storage it's most likely 'safe'.

The problem with ReFS is, IMO, that it's largely become abandonware from a MS perspective. It's been a thing now for more than a decade and seen little if any development, it seems UWP apps, widgets, designing new start menus and other eye candy is more of a priority at MS these days. So IMO i wouldn't use ReFS unless i knew exactly the reason i needed it, only needed it for those reasons, and didn't demand anything more from it because if you encounter a limitation or bug your hopes of it being addressed in a timely manner are pretty much non-existent.

Soldato
OP
It's a shame, as the file system looks promising. It reminds of the Windows XP days when people were hesitant about moving from FAT32 to NTFS - but somebody had to make the first move. I accept in this case it's a little different, especially when it appears to be temperamental. But if enough people start using it, then perhaps development will move up a gear.

Back
Top Bottom