Replacement for PC audio setup

Soldato
I've currently got a rather ancient set of PC speakers in the Logitech Z2300, bought in September 2005 from OcUK :eek: these have been plenty good enough for me but recently noticed I'm the right channel seems to have died so I'm down to mono sound (well, +sub...) so probably time to replace it...

I could just go for a new set of similar 'decent pc speakers' but been thinking of better alternatives and wondering if a separates system might be nice.

Currently I have two systems, work laptop and pc, and alternate which one is connected work is mostly playing music and pc is a combination of music, youtube and gaming.

It would be nice to have flexibility, multiple inputs so I don't have to switch cables, maybe BT to play music from my phone, or Chromecast for the same thing and maybe in the future multi-room setups could be a thing.

Done a bit of research with my current thinking being:
  • I did look at the WiiM Plus/Pro setup, like the functionality but at £149-219 and then needing an amp on top not sure it's 'worth it' right now.
  • I've got some unused Onkyo speakers from a home theater setup, I assume these could be used (Onkyo SKF-548, 120W max and 6 ohm)
  • Looking on a popular audio website there's the Yamaha RS202D which seems to be quite flexible - 4x RCA inputs so could expand/add in something like the WiiM, BT for streaming from my phone, dual speaker outputs should that ever be a thing and not too expensive...

Would the Yamaha be a suitable option, with the Onkyo speakers? Are there cheaper amplifier options to look at?

Soldato
Why spend money on a good stereo amp only to use junk HTIB Onkyo speakers?Just buy something like Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 and throw those Onkyo in the skip

That Yamaha has spring clip for speaker. :-/ plus you shouldn't drive two pairs of speakers from that yamaha at the same time

Dedicated streamers are better plus if you buy several ie multiple wiim pros, you get proper discrete multi room all controlled from one app

If you're using analogue out from streamer, get the Wiim Pro Plus. Better DAC, AKM.

Last edited:
Soldato
I own a WiiM Plus. I only use it's digital output into an external DAC, that is truly excellent. Not tried it's analogue out (have no need) but apparently the DAC on the WiiM Plus is poor.

If you don't have an external DAC then the WiiM Plus Pro is better as it has an uprated DAC.

Soldato
OP
I get that the Onkyo's aren't amazing, but they're good enough for now at least and easy enough to upgrade in the future.

Am I wrong in thinking that if I got the WiiM Plus Pro for example I'd still need an Amplifier for it to feed into and drive the speakers? If so then I probably wouldn't bother with the WiiM for now at least, but would like the option of adding it at some point in the future (hence things like multiple-RCA inputs on the amp).

Soldato
I get that the Onkyo's aren't amazing, but they're good enough for now at least and easy enough to upgrade in the future.

Am I wrong in thinking that if I got the WiiM Plus Pro for example I'd still need an Amplifier for it to feed into and drive the speakers? If so then I probably wouldn't bother with the WiiM for now at least, but would like the option of adding it at some point in the future (hence things like multiple-RCA inputs on the amp).

Yes wiim pro plus is just a streamer, you'll need an amp.

Unless you get Wiim amp that is streamer and amp in one.

Soldato
OP
Yes wiim pro plus is just a streamer, you'll need an amp.

Unless you get Wiim amp that is streamer and amp in one.

I did see the WiiM Amp but the inputs seem restricted to HDMI Arc, Optical and Line, I could maybe get that to work but sounds awkward :/

Any thoughts on a decent, but also cheap-ish :p, standalone amp?

Soldato
I did see the WiiM Amp but the inputs seem restricted to HDMI Arc, Optical and Line, I could maybe get that to work but sounds awkward :/

Any thoughts on a decent, but also cheap-ish :p, standalone amp?

Last edited:
Soldato
If you wanted to spend a bit more also have a look at the bluesound powernode. That is what I use and it's been brilliant. I've had mine for a year now. I also think Richer Sounds are doing discount on speakers, if you buy one. Might be of interest.

Soldato
OP

Forgive me but struggling to see what that offers over the Yamaha RS202D that I mentioned in the OP, it seems to have less inputs for example, but maybe it's better in some way I'm missing? (not trying to be rude/antagonistic!)

If you wanted to spend a bit more also have a look at the bluesound powernode. That is what I use and it's been brilliant. I've had mine for a year now. I also think Richer Sounds are doing discount on speakers, if you buy one. Might be of interest.

Looks really nice, but also really pricey :p

Think I could get an Amp, the Speakers and 2x WiiM Plus Pro's for the price of just the powernode from what I can tell?

Maybe I should've said earlier really not a huge audiophile either, I like music and listen to it a bunch but my standards are pretty low, I see the point in spending 'a bit' to get into something somewhat decent but I doubt I'd notice the difference between a ~£200 amp or a £1200 amp (I'm assuming they go up that high, it's audio stuff so :p)

Soldato
Forgive me but struggling to see what that offers over the Yamaha RS202D that I mentioned in the OP, it seems to have less inputs for example, but maybe it's better in some way I'm missing? (not trying to be rude/antagonistic!)

I picked that previous Yamaha amp due to it being discounted so much, it's also smaller to fit on a desk, plus it has piano black sides that cosmetically look very good. But your correct it won't offer anything over the Yamaha amp you picked.

Is this new setup a home working / PC desk setup? Or is this new setup a general HiFi setup that can be used for both?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I picked that previous Yamaha amp due to it being discounted so much, it's also smaller to fit on a desk, plus it has piano black sides that cosmetically look very good. But your correct it won't offer anything over the Yamaha amp you picked.

Is this new setup a home working / PC desk setup? Or is this new setup a general HiFi setup that can be used for both?

It's basically for my home office, which is both work and personal usage. I'd like to somewhat separate it from the pc/laptop, in that I like the idea of streaming music from my phone rather than either machine if that makes sense, but also would want to be able to get audio from either source (phone/laptop/pc) without swapping any cables or anything...

Does that make sense? :p

Soldato
It's basically for my home office, which is both work and personal usage. I'd like to somewhat separate it from the pc/laptop, in that I like the idea of streaming music from my phone rather than either machine if that makes sense, but also would want to be able to get audio from either source (phone/laptop/pc) without swapping any cables or anything...

Ban.

Just use a streamer. Phone is ok for secondary source, casting youtube etc, but primary use? Nope.

I use audio streamers in each room, it's great, control it from one app, and no drop in in SQ over BT etc. Coaxial into DAC.

Soldato

Do you use the PC for Zoom / Teams calls or for example watching YouTube?

That Yamaha amp you first picked sounds about the correct thing, as it has a USB DAC to connect to PC/Laptop and also I think Music Cast?

Soldato
OP
Do you use the PC for Zoom / Teams calls or for example watching YouTube?

That Yamaha amp you first picked sounds about the correct thing, as it has a USB DAC to connect to PC/Laptop and also I think Music Cast?

For video calls I almost exclusively use a separate headset. So we're talking Music, YT/Videos and gaming basically.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I keep it simple and have a pair of Kanto YU4 active speakers. 3.5mm jack and Bluetooth are what I use from the inputs.

INPUTS​

3.5mm mini-jack AUX
RCA with Phono Switch
2 x Optical (TOSLINK)
Bluetooth™ 4.0 with Qualcomm® aptX™

DSCF1416.jpg

Back
Top Bottom