RIP Adam Johnson / Ice Hockey player

Soldato

Lost for words, Adam Johnson current Nottingham Panther and former Pittsburgh Penguin ice hockey player has died after receiving a skate cut to the neck, I was going to go to the Sheffield Arena last night as I've started going to watch the Steelers again after giving up on football but a family do cropped up.

I can't imagine what Petgrave (the players who's skate it was) is feeling and also the crowd as there is a real friendly rivalry in the UK around hockey and I've had a beer with nearly every teams fans over the years.

Soldato
OP
Who is saying it was intentional as every ice hockey forum I’ve visited has said you can see him knocked over by the check as he’s approaching Johnson, I’m not searching for the video clip as I have no interest in watching a young man lose his life (yes I’m aware he died later in hospital but it’s the start of the chain) and then is completely of balance and careens into Johnson, the Nottingham Panthers website also state it was a freak accident

Soldato
OP
Oh apologies as I do know of enforcers within the game etc.
But when you type his name in with "dirty player" etc, you start getting some different results which could be viewed differently now.
Having followed the sport in UK since 1992-93 season I have seen many enforcers grace these shores and let me assure you Petgrave is nowhere near a 'dirty' player, we've had some absolute maniacs overhere playing the game (Ware, Niekar and Payette to name a few) but I have never ever thought they would do something as silly try and hit someone with their skate, hell I remember Shannon Hope's 2 handed stick swing to knock all Perry Doyle's teeth out.

As someone further up mentioned, it was 1989 when Buffalo Sabre's netminder Clint Marlachuck was nearly decapitated by a forward who was skating in on him, luckily he survived but it's always been a risk, numerous NHL players have had severe lacerations over the years and I think it was last week or the week before where a player took a skate to the face and nearly lost their eye, accidents do and will happen and for people who have only seen a grainy potato camera video to call murder is a bit of a stretch in my opinion, yes they are the few animosities within the sport but they are very very few and far between and I've only ever seen 1 game not end in all the players lined up shaking each others hands before leaving the ice.

Soldato
OP
Nephew has just been round to drop his dog off and he plays on the same rec team that Staniforth plays on (he was one of the lino's on Saturday night) and say's he's in a real state emotionally wise (completely understandable), also said next time he takes to the ice he'll wear a neck guard as he's still got his from when he was 18 but said that earlier he checked Puck Stop and they've already sold out of them, he did say that the reason most players don't wear them is they get the crap ripped out of them for wearing them but wonder if minds are going to change now.

It may seem knee-jerk but when someone has just died when it was preventable (iirc not so long ago a chap in Russia died when he took a slapshot to the neck and it burst an artery which a neck guard would also have prevented so it's not just 1 risk that requires protection)

Soldato
OP
The online video has been used (often edited to just show the moment of collision or intentionally at a lower quality to hide details) by numerous "anti-woke/anti-BLM" accounts on twitter to stir up racial hatred over the last 24hrs, they've jumped on it straight away with the "black man kills white man" garbage.
Seen these comments and tbh I'm hardly surprised, the internet really is a cess pit at times, Sky News were on about the trolling of Petgrave but haven't stopped the ability to comment on the news stories which I would've thought would be the 1st thing to do.

Soldato
OP
“I’ve watched it, it’s terrible, it’s tough to watch. Did this kid make a move that was very unorthodox? Do I think he was trying to make contact of some sort? Absolutely.”

“Do I think he woke up and said, ‘I’m going to murder somebody today?’ No.”
There has to be intent to harm when you lift your leg up to head height, certainly didnt mean to kill but theres no way that happens without intent to move like that. It looks so blatent, cant believe people actually think its an accident.
Are you guys suggesting he jumped in the air to kick\hit Johnson?

I'm confused are you missing the part where he lined up a hip check and was readying to hit Johnson when he was clipped by a crossing panthers player or are you just that convinced of his guilt that doesn't matter as he was going to kick him either way?

He certainly didn't "lift his leg up to head height" as he was sent spinning by clipping the panthers player, it happens quite often but does it very rarely result in someone's skate hitting another player anywhere never mind exposed neck.

Either you're not seeing the proper picture or are just on the windup so we'll leave it there and let the police conduct their enquiries but after watching hockey for the best part of 30 years I've never witnessed anyone try to injure someone like you keep saying and I've already mentioned in one of my earlier posts we've had some real lunatics playing the game on these shores.

Soldato
OP
So he went for the trip so intent was there then

I'm not saying going for the kill but intent was there
So as I mentioned you're now just trolling, as many people has said he was bracing for a hip check, to do that your back leg straightens out to provide balance, you are aware that players are allowed to run into each other in hockey, it's called hitting and is as much of a part of the game as putting the puck in the net and yes intent to hit Johnson was 100% there from Petgrave (a completely legal move in Ice Hockey), intent to trip over the trailing leg of the Panther and then go spinning through the air slicing Johnson's neck causing catastrophic fatal injury I'm not so convinced
Matt Petgrave has a lot of history as a thug
History as a thug (or by the correct hockey term enforcer) is actually why some teams sign players, they're there to provide protection for other skilled players and their job is to basically fight other teams players when they step out of line or to provide a spark for their team should it be required, cannot believe I'm actually answering you as you have zero hockey knowledge and are just saying things out loud before engaging any kind of thoughts, when Panther's and Steelers' fans are agreeing on something then I think you can safely say that you maybe are in the wrong

Soldato
OP
Sadly it was always going to result in him being arrested as there is just no getting away from the fact his actions have resulted in someone's death (much like a driver is arrested when a child runs out in front of a car), by the very definition I would say he's possibly guilty of Involuntary Manslaughter because he could be classed as reckless, if they can prove intent (which I think will be very hard to do) then he could be guilty of Voluntary Manslaughter but as I'm not a lawyer I really couldn't call one way or the other, but I'd like to think that he didn't purposely try and hit Johnson with his skate.

There's 2 different types of manslaughter in UK law. Voluntary manslaughter is when the killer had the intention to kill or cause serious harm, but had a partial defence, such as provocation or diminished responsibility. Involuntary manslaughter is when the killer had no intention to kill or cause serious harm, but acted with gross negligence or recklessness.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom