RIP Windows Phone

Soldato
So it looks like Windows Phone sales have collapsed. I guess that's unsurprising when there's hardly been any new hardware for it.

CZ1tSgkVIAAOU7F.png

What's everyone's take on this? Are people going to miss Windows Phone? Personally, I've never been a fan but I'm sad that there's not a third platform left to keep Google/Apple honest. I'm also sad that this is effectively the end for 'Nokia' phones.

Soldato
OP
:rolleyes:

What an idiotic post, they just released a new hardware in December as well as a new OS, is about to announce new hardware in Feb, and is set to announce a surface phone in the summer when Redstone rolls out.

Windows Phone is nothing more than a vanity project at this stage. No smartphone platform is sustainable on less than 6 million sales per quarter. Nokia were selling that many smartphones in 2005.

Microsoft will keep it ticking over but it's dead as a credible smartphone platform.

Soldato
OP
From Paul Thrurrott, Microsoft super-fan:

It’s hard to feel good about Windows phone right now: Microsoft sold just 4.5 million Lumias in the most recent quarter, good for 1.1 percent of the smart phone market. And that’s down from 10.5 million in the same quarter a year ago. It’s even down from the previous (and non-holiday) quarter, which is … alarming, actually. This thing has fallen through the floor faster than anyone really imagined it would.

But it is worth reminding people that Microsoft is simply following through on its promised strategy of July 2015. Which was to reduce its exposure to per-unit losses (Microsoft, like Nokia, loses money on every Lumia) and keep Windows phone in market artificially, on life support, so that it could continue developing a cross platform Windows 10 and the universal apps platform. That is, Windows phone really is dead. But Microsoft will sell you one if you’re a fan.

I’ve said before that Windows phone fans should be happy with this outcome, because the alternative is so terrible to consider. And if you revisit my Lumia 950 review, it’s possible to see this device in a new light. That is, I complained that it’s too expensive, but that may be on purpose, so that Microsoft doesn’t lose money when you buy one. And it is astonishing what happens when you add a high-quality Mozo case to this device. It’s suddenly amazing. (Apps notwithstanding.)

Anyway. Windows phone is a failure, no doubt about it. So much so that it casts serious doubt on the viability of a Surface phone. Looking ahead, I think that Microsoft keeps Windows 10 Mobile around to continue the Windows 10 cross platform dream, but that Windows 10 evolves generally so that hardware makers can add phone/text capabilities to devices as they see fit, but that the notion of a “Windows phone” sort of goes away. It’s just not a real business anymore. Sad but true.

(Side note: To be clear, Lumia is Windows phone. Microsoft sells over 97 percent of all Windows phones in the market.)

Link.

(Emphasis mine)

Soldato
OP
You may as well say Symbian is doing not terribly. It still runs on some phones right?

The last Symbian phoned rolled off the production line in summer 2013. Microsoft is still officially providing support for the platform through 2016. I assume that consists of a lonely engineer in a basement somewhere in Finland providing security updates.

Soldato
OP
Google has played games with Apple too. The co-developed Google Maps app was left to rot by Google, effectively forcing Apple to come up with their own mapping solution.

Remember the mobile market is huge, billions of devices. A sub 10% market share still means millions and millions of Windows mobile devices. Enough for savvy developers to support it and especially for large companies - they can't afford to be ignoring millions of their customers.

10% marketshare is a pipe dream for Microsoft right now. Their current marketshare is 1.1%.

Soldato
OP
Microsoft could have easily caught up but they haven't. Now they're well and truly ****ed.

Microsoft was one of the first companies to realise the potential of smartphones. The problem was that there wasn't a true passion for mobile at Microsoft at an engineering level until iOS and Android came out. Windows Mobile was where all of the dysfunctional workers were sent as punishment. Everyone at Microsoft wanted to work on either Windows or Office at the time.

By the time Windows Phone came out, I don't think there was ever a chance to catch up. Android ran on cheap, available silicon and was free. Why would a manufacturer risk switching to a different platform?

Soldato
OP
Recode have published the internal memo:

Terry Myerson said:
To: Microsoft - All Employees

Date: Wednesday 5/25, 2AM Pacific Time

Subject: Focusing our phone hardware efforts

Team,

Last week we announced the sale of our feature phone business. Today I want to share that we are taking the additional step of streamlining our smartphone hardware business, and we anticipate this will impact up to 1,850 jobs worldwide, up to 1,350 of which are in Finland. These changes are incredibly difficult because of the impact on good people who have contributed greatly to Microsoft. Speaking on behalf of Satya and the entire Senior Leadership Team, we are committed to help each individual impacted with our support, resources, and respect.

For context, Windows 10 recently crossed 300 million monthly active devices, our Surface and Xbox customer satisfaction is at record levels, and HoloLens enthusiasts are developing incredible new experiences. Yet our phone success has been limited to companies valuing our commitment to security, manageability, and Continuum, and with consumers who value the same. Thus, we need to be more focused in our phone hardware efforts.

With this focus, our Windows strategy remains unchanged:

1. Universal apps. We have built an amazing platform, with a rich innovation roadmap ahead. Expanding the devices we reach and the capabilities for developers is our top priority.

2. We always take care of our customers, Windows phones are no exception. We will continue to update and support our current Lumia and OEM partner phones, and develop great new devices.

3. We remain steadfast in our pursuit of innovation across our Windows devices and our services to create new and delightful experiences.Our best work for customers comes from our device, platform, and service combination.

At the same time, our company will be pragmatic and embrace other mobile platforms with our productivity services, device management services, and development tools -- regardless of a person’s phone choice, we want everyone to be able to experience what Microsoft has to offer them.

With that all said… I used the words “be more focused” above. This in fact describes what we are doing (we’re scaling back, but we’re not out!), but at the same time I don’t love it because it lacks the emotional impact of this decision. When I look back on our journey in mobility, we’ve done hard work and had great ideas, but have not always had the alignment needed across the company to make an impact. At the same time, Ars Technica recently published a long story documenting our journey to create the universal platform for our developers. The story shows the real challenges we faced, and the grit required to get it done. The story closes with this:

And as long as it has taken the company, Microsoft has still arguably achieved something that its competitors have not... It took more than two decades to get there, but Microsoft still somehow got there first.

For me, that’s what focus can deliver for us, and now we get to build on that foundation to build amazing products.

Terry

I hope that all of those affected find new employment quickly.

Soldato
OP
The sad truth is that most mobile developers aren't making any money off iOS, let alone WP. No-one is going to develop for a niche platform when you're barely keeping your head above water.

And how many people are actually paying for Windows 10 apps?

Back
Top Bottom