Samsung F1 750GB slowed to a crawl

Soldato
Just recently bought this drive and everything was hunky dorey. Last night when I watching some TV shows of the drive they started to halt in mid-play for a couple of seconds then go back to normal. I assumed it might be just a Windows thing as my PC had been on for a few days. I checked it this morning and the same problem, so I did a HDTach and HDTune benchmark and this is what I got:

169kgf9.png

I've restarted a couple of times since, and when the PC resets it goes back to full speed for a few minutes then back to an unwavering 3.5MB/s with no deviation (HDTach shows 3.7MB/s, HDTune shows 3.5MB/s).

Any idea what the problem could be? Hoping it's not the drive. Oh also, motherboard is a Abit IP35 Pro, the drive is SATA and I'm using the onboard SATA lanes.

Soldato
OP
Aye, when I posted this I thought I'd best change the port and cable just in case. Finished that and just loaded back up and ran HDTune and it looks more healthy:

2nb91ea.png

What I noticed originally though when I had it on the other port than in the BIOS my main system drive and other slave drive both showed as being on the SATA lanes as "SATA-0", "SATA-2", but the Samsung showed as "IDE". Now I've switched port it's showing as "SATA-1".

Hopefully it stays at the normal speeds, I'll keep an eye on it. Unfortunately I can't backup the full drive as I don't have enough space to do that, however I have backed up the major things.

I remember something similar happening to my Maxtor storage drive once, it crawled to an absolute halt with about the same speeds and if my memory serves me correctly I changed port and cable on that one as well. Wonder if the bottom lanes on my motherboard are dodgy?

Ta for the reply bledd. If it goes back to 3.5MB/s I'll post back.

Back
Top Bottom