• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Sandy Bridge 2500k Just Died

Associate
Looks like my 2500k is dead... 4 days of use, now it doesn't even make it into windows without locking up...
locks up on windows load up. Windows repair locks up.
Tried to use another HD and install windows on that. Locks up...
Looks like these might be duff, another guy with a d2 stepping 2500k had his die...
Any ideas on a way to test with only around 30sec before lockup when started?
Trying to underclock now...

Last edited:
Associate
OP
running at 26 degrees on full load when I booted it at 16multi. No prob on the temps...
was running a Vcore within the spec, well within the spec, rolled it back today after hearing someones died. 1.080v when at 16multi (as per Vid)...
ok managed to boot it @ stock 3.3 ghz but even though turbo is allegedly on. Under prime95 its stuck at 3.3ghz so no turbo...
Wont boot if I set turbo to enabled (not auto - where it is apparently shut off)...
Trying individual cores as suggested...

Last edited:
Associate
OP
single core - boots @ 3.3 as before, turbo enabled - wont boot, turbo set to auto boots to windows no turbo on prime...
continuing to try cores... Also will try upping TDP limit (from auto to 95w in bios).

Associate
OP
This thread is getting linked from various places, but is there actually other reports of this? Only thread I can find on "2500k died" or variations is this one.

Also "was running a Vcore within the spec, well within the spec at 4.8ghz" sounds a bit clandestine. What vCore were you actually running?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
guys, I have got the cpu back again albeit at 1.38vcore. I think the advice Gibbo is giving is good, and I have booted my ram (rated 1.65) at 1.5v with no ill effects... I am also running it at 1.6v now but only because it rules out the ram as a source of the problem whilst I prime95 the CPU...
I think maybe this thread should be re labelled as it now gives a false interpretation of the current status of the CPU.
So far there has only been one failure (in another thread of this forum) which was the IMC, my problems are liekly simply to be due to my overvolting @ 4.8ghz. Which whilst they lasted for a short duration may have imapacted on the subsequent performance of the processor... Who knows...
I will post a screenie of Vcore, temps and prime95 results in a few hours.

Back
Top Bottom