Scalix: What do we really think?

Associate
'llo all,

Recently our requirements at work changed somewhat - at the moment we simply use a postfix(+clamav, spamassassin, amavisd-new)/dovecot imap setup and all it does is mail - it's been perfectly reliable and runs on NetBSD with LDAP accounts.

Now we have a need for a more integrated calandering solution as well as mail - i sucessfully setup iCal's on our WebDAV server and used the thunderbird lightning plugin which seemed to work well enough, but i also had a look at scalix.

In my mind it's not as good as people make it out to be - i found it quite lacking - sure it has a nice web interface and some user management but i couldn't see anything in there for configuring the anti spam etc stuff.

Compared to exchange it's nowhere near as close - but then exchange isn't free.

Is anyone running it day to day? How do you find it?

I have seen (thank goodness) that you can fairly easily change the MTA from sendmail to postfix, so that should allow me to slip in all of our current anti-spam setup at least.

I may just do the iCal/WebDAV route - certainly easier in our current setup, and theres no need for it to be accessable outside of our LAN/VPNs

Soldato
Not exactly what you're asking but have you looked at Google Apps. It's by far and away the fastest and most complete email system I've used (And I've used a lot). You wouldn't have to worry about space, downtime, spam or any of *** headaches traditionaly associated with running a mail system.

Last time I looked, costs were pretty competetive as well.

Back
Top Bottom