Seasonic PRIME TX

Associate
I've used high end Seasonic and Corsair PSUs for years, but my experience with the Prime TX units has not been good (small sample size admittedly):

A one year on Prime TX 1000 failed and it was well over specified for the PC.

I bought a Prime TX1300 for another build a few months later and that had an issue where when the PC went to sleep it would just power off. The vendor couldn't replace that PSU as Seasonic pulled that PSU for many months. I tried three other PSUs in that PC and all were fine.

The Prime TX PSUs get good reviews and have great specs but two failures was a concern.

Soldato
I wouldn't pay almost double the price for a Seasonic PRIME TX over the almost equivalent Vertex gold. I bought a top end Seasonic PSU over 10 years ago thinking it would last for years. It didn't & it was replaced under their warranty & that was sold on.

Soldato
Seasonic getting silly now, you'll see no benefit in the real world over having a good quality gold PSU, same with other premium tiers from other PSU brands, it's just gouging.

Man of Honour
Seasonic has always been overhyped for some reason and tend to be more expensive than other brands even when they use the same platform. Even Seasonic has turned out rubbish psu's and the cheaper models aren't even built by them. A equivalent CWT built psu is just as good as a Seasonic one so there is no reason to pay the inflated prices they are asking now.

Soldato
Seasonic has always been overhyped for some reason and tend to be more expensive than other brands even when they use the same platform. Even Seasonic has turned out rubbish psu's and the cheaper models aren't even built by them. A equivalent CWT built psu is just as good as a Seasonic one so there is no reason to pay the inflated prices they are asking now.

I don't think they're over-hyped they've consistently been top notch for a long time, what they are now is over-priced. About 20 years ago Corsair were the go-to PSU for people on these forums everyone had one, every reccomendation was for the HX620

Then Corsair did what companies do and exploited a strong market position and upped prices, this is what Seasonic have done - the Platinum and Titanium lines are bonkers expensive, but they're not on their own with these stupidly priced primo tiers. They're very well marketed, they look awesone and people buy, but they're gaining nothing for the extra cash, over a gold.

Associate
Think I felt the prices that were being asked for to get any of the PRIME TX were over the top when I was looking for a PSU a few years back. And even the one PRIME Fanless TX700 I got would have been considered expensive, but I managed to snag one with a discount and got it for £200 odd, which was probably closer to what it should be selling at and you won't feel like you've overspent. Currently it's priced at £250 range but back then it was higher (up to £300-350).

Associate
I’ve got a TX-1600 (the atx 3.0 version) and it’s fantastic.

Much quieter than the Corsair ax1600i I had.

It’s also a bonus that it comes with braided cables.

Seasonic make some of the best power supplies so they’re a safe bet.

Associate
I’ve got a TX-1600 (the atx 3.0 version) and it’s fantastic.

Much quieter than the Corsair ax1600i I had.

Just ensure that if the fan is facing down as is common then either flip the PSU or disable the hybrid fan control so the fan will always run as detailed in the manual. My TX-1000 and TX-1300 had other failure causes as they had hybrid fan disabled but I've got a couple of friends that had their Prime TX supplies die after a year or so and had the hybrid mode on and fan facing down. So that warning the the manual could be for a good reason.

Most Corsair supplies I've had are fine either way in their equivalent of hybrid fan mode as they're designed for it but not the Seasonic TX-Primes.

Back
Top Bottom