SFF for Lan Party

amx

amx

Associate
I've posted previously about buying a machine, but unfortunately I never got the oportunity to purchase the components.

I've now got the cash again and this is ideally what I want to buy:

Opty 170 or X2 4400+
2Gb Ram
NEC 4551 DVD-RW (2 if they will fit)
1x80Gb HDD
2x250Gb HDD's in Raid0 (i would prefer one big drive, but the samsung spin points are the quietest drives and don't come in 500Gb capacities)
ATi X1900 XT-X
Asus Crossfire Mobo (Micro ATX)
Tagan Modular PSU
X-FI Sound Card
PCI Wireless Network Card

Would all this fit in a Silverstone Sugo case without overheating and be reasonably quiet?

Would I be able to fit a better CPU cooler, a Freezer 64 or a scythe ninja?

I've also considered the Lian Li V1000 case, but as Ill be going to Lan Party's the small form factor would be ideal to carry.

It would also look cool sat on my desk at home.

I'm not in any hurry as I can't order it until OCUK get the NEC 20.1" monitor I want anyway.

Soldato
It'd fit in the Sugo fine, looks like a nice spec too. If you're really bothered about silence, then get a Zalman VF700 for the gfx card, and one of those low-profile Swiftech coolers on the X2 with a quiet fan.:)

Soldato
The sugo has 2 3.5" bays so you'd have to live with only 2 of your proposed 3 hdd's.

You definitely can't fit a scythe ninja in there, the maximum height is quite low, so have a look around for good cpu coolers, I have a swiftech in my sugo and it acts well. :)

Soldato
It is possible to get 2 laptop DVRW's eg. Pioneer DVR-K05 in a carrier that fits into 1 5.25" bay and you could then use an adapter to get the third HDD in there. You'd need one hell of a PSU though and the heat soak is going to be something special with that much stuff in 1 small case.

amx

amx

Associate
OP
As long as it has one DVD-R then i'm not bothered, two was just being greedy anyway :p
In any event, it seems like im trying to do too much in such a small case and it would be sensible to go with the lian-li then, which is a shame :/
I'd like to have had a small pc.

amx

amx

Associate
OP
The reviews on it seem quite good, but it's still quite large in comparison to the Sugo or X-Pack. I think I would be better off purchasing the V1000, I can then use 120MM silent fans and the scythe ninja, which i've heard very good things about.

Thanks for the help, but it doesn't look like a SFF will cut the mustard :/

Soldato
tbh i think it would all fit and work nicely in the sugo. obviously the temps will be higher than in a lian-li but still not too high. ive got a shuttle and its packed it with stuff, couple of hdd's, dvd-rw, ram, cpu, graphics, soundcard etc. infact majority of people on the SFF forums have jam packed their shuttles and other SFF's with hdd's big ass graphics cards etc. once saw a guy on here who modded his shuttle and put 3 or 4 raptors in it (cant remember which it was lol, was a while ago) and temps were fine. hell ive always used maxtors till just recently and used to have a 9800XT. maxtors and 9800XT is one deadly combination of heat! my shuttle worked fine :)

plus theres always the oppertunity to mod if you want to :) (quite possibly the best part of SFF's)

as far as i know the sugo takes normal ATX powersupplys, right?? so power shouldnt be a problem if you get a decent psu. as for heat, arctic cooler or zalman VF700 on the graphics and a decent cooler on the cpu (not really up to speed on decent cpu coolers but hey, you can do a bit of research) and it should be plenty cool enough.

space isnt that much of an issue. graphics card will fit nicely with a dual slot cooler on, leaving the remaining 2 PCI slots for the x-fi and wireless adapter. as has been said, theres space for 2 hard drives, or buy an adapter and use one of the drives in the 5.25 bay providing you only use 1 dvd-rw (dont really see the point in 2. copying disk to disk gives quite poor results in my experience and found its always much better copying to hard drive first then burning to disk, unless you have games that use 2 disks and want to be able to play either straight away)

i say go for it. get the sugo. but either way you wont be dissapointed witht he sugo or lian-li :)

Back
Top Bottom