SFX PSU

Soldato
Hello!
I am building a small PC.
Normally, I would build using Corsair, but I believe they have changed the connectors on the SFX power supplies to Type 5, so there seems little point in sticking with them.
The power output is almost irrelevant, since any PSU will do. The PC current consumes around 60W max.
I do, however, want an efficient, quality PSU, that is at least Gold, if not Platinum, since energy efficiency is the name of the game here.
Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
If you really care about energy efficiency and the max output is so low, you'd be better off with a pico-PSU, wouldn't you?

The energy efficiency rating is far less important than the PSUs very low load power. You can see that in some reviews.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
If you really care about energy efficiency and the max output is so low, you'd be better off with a pico-PSU, wouldn't you?

The energy efficiency rating is far less important than the PSUs very low load power. You can see that in some reviews.

Oooh! I will explore. I didn't even know they existed (new to small PC's).

Man of Honour
Oooh! I will explore. I didn't even know they existed (new to small PC's).
They're better for very low power PCs than ATX PSUs because ATX PSUs lose a lot of power just by being on. Pico-PSUs are hard to beat for < 20 watts, except for ATX 12VO PSUs.

I think Corsair's RMx is one of the better/best ones, it had 77% efficiency at 2% only in THG's RM750x (2021) review. Though, that's no help to you if you're going SFX.

Lian Li's SP got 69% efficiency at 2% load in TPU's review, not bad.

Soldato
Hello!
I am building a small PC.
Normally, I would build using Corsair, but I believe they have changed the connectors on the SFX power supplies to Type 5, so there seems little point in sticking with them.
The power output is almost irrelevant, since any PSU will do. The PC current consumes around 60W max.
I do, however, want an efficient, quality PSU, that is at least Gold, if not Platinum, since energy efficiency is the name of the game here.
Any suggestions?

If the power output is almost irrelvant (60W) then so is the efficiency, so the last thing you need is a really expensice platinum PSU because you will never get the money back on efficiency. In most cases going above gold is a waste of money anyway.

By the cheapest thing you can that won't blow up.

:D

Soldato
Hard not to recommend Corsair if you're going down the traditional SFX route. There are a few manufacturers making slightly cheaper SFX power supplies but I know there are some grievances regarding fan noise, particularly on the likes of the Lian Li ones.

Associate
Hard not to recommend Corsair if you're going down the traditional SFX route. There are a few manufacturers making slightly cheaper SFX power supplies but I know there are some grievances regarding fan noise, particularly on the likes of the Lian Li ones.
Sorry, not sure I follow?

The SF750 is considered the best sfx psu in the sff community. However, I do agree that in op's case it isn't the right one for their use case.

Soldato
Sorry, not sure I follow?

The SF750 is considered the best sfx psu in the sff community. However, I do agree that in op's case it isn't the right one for their use case.

Not sure what's difficult to follow? I recommended Corsair as a brand, on the basis that the OP was to stick with the SFX PSU size format. The currently bloated price of the SF750 does make it more tempting to go for a cheaper SFX alternative but these aren't without their own issues, which the SF750 avoids.

I haven't a problem with the PICO recommendation at all and it may prove to be more suitable, if efficiency is of paramount importance. But I believe they require an additional power brick which not everyone loves and from the times when I've looked into PICOs and their ilk, availability from reputable sellers (from a warranty point of view more so than anything else) wasn't really consistent.

Associate
Not sure what's difficult to follow? I recommended Corsair as a brand, on the basis that the OP was to stick with the SFX PSU size format. The currently bloated price of the SF750 does make it more tempting to go for a cheaper SFX alternative but these aren't without their own issues, which the SF750 avoids.

I haven't a problem with the PICO recommendation at all and it may prove to be more suitable, if efficiency is of paramount importance. But I believe they require an additional power brick which not everyone loves and from the times when I've looked into PICOs and their ilk, availability from reputable sellers (from a warranty point of view more so than anything else) wasn't really consistent.
Oh my mistake! I did not see the not in your original post.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Had an awful Thermaltake 850w 80+ Gold SFX that was literally advertised as 'whisper quiet/silent' and was loud asf even powering a rx 570/3600 just browsing the web, absolute garbage, and was rubbish in build quality and cabling, returned it, and spent £20 more and got a Corsair SFX750 and it is silent even WITH the fan on!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom