Show us your home lab

Associate
I guess it depends on how much you're planning to stress the system. If you're going to be doing IDS and all that on *sense and have a fast internet connection then you're not going to regret the extra performance of the N305. The only thing that puts me off these tiny cases and the N305 is the extra heat they have the potential to generate. I've seen models completely passively cooled and some than have a small fan. Because I only run it as a router appliance in my sitting room I need passively cooled and so would feel "safer" with an N100. But if I was OK with actively cooled then I'd definitely look at the N305 as the price difference has shrunk a lot and depending on the application you can get twice the performance.

When I ran HA and Z2M containerised on my old UnRaid box the CPU never seemed stressed and that was an old 6th Gen i5 I think. I don't think they'll need the extra grunt. I'm not au fait with Proxmox so no idea how much overhead the hypervisor needs. RAM might be an issue - I think the two chips have different capabilities with addressable RAM from memory if that's important to you.

I'm hopefully moving house in a few months and will need to decide where to put the machine, I don't want to have to add a fan if I can help it.

tbh I'm only going to use Proxmox as I fancy trying something different :D
it's probably way overkill for what I'm using it for.

Soldato
A system that's so venerable that I'm beginning to forget what's actually in there... The big box is my Unraid server running with a Ryzen 2700x, 32Gb, 3x6Tb HDDs and two SSDs. There's a Proxmox server on a Lenovo mini PC hidden at the bottom running Home Assistant with a couple of play about VMs. The UDM is hooked up to a U6-Pro sitting on a 3D printed stand. It may be upside down but area coverage is great! Everything is plugged into a APC UPS.

Back
Top Bottom