Sky Sports F1 UHD - pixelation

Associate
Wasnt really sure where to post this but a lot of you F1 fans will be watching on Sky Sports in UHD.

I've never noticed this before on my previous TV but watching on an 85" Samsung QN90C (not sure if the model matters, but perhaps others with 4k Samsung's might comment), I can see this pixelation whenever there is fast moving action around the driver timing box. It's hard to capture and does not show if you pause the live tv. But it's very noticeable every time the picture is panned out and the camera is tracking the car.

The same pixelation seems to exist on my 65" 1080p TV but is not nearly as noticeable.

If I reduce the resolution to 1080p (and record the 1080p broadcast), the same pixelation is there at exactly the same moment.

Most likely a broadcast issue but surprised if this isn't being raised by others as it's very distracting.

(Removed link to video)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Always the way - as soon as I posted, I found the answer. It's because of Picture Clarity settings and, in particular, Blur Reduction. With that switched off, it's gone away. Might be useful to someone else.

Last edited:
Associate
Always the way - as soon as I posted, I found the answer. It's because of Picture Clarity settings and, in particular, Blur Reduction. With that switched off, it's gone away. Might be useful to someone else.
Yes the fancy post processing features of modern TVs are great... Until they aren't

Caporegime
Yes the fancy post processing features of modern TVs are great... Until they aren't

I turn them all off pretty much.

All that **** makes everything ten times horrible.

I still cannot for the live of me work out why that horrible "true motion" stuff is on as default on every TV and how most of the population are fine with it. How do people live with watching something that constantly changes frame rate? Mental.

Soldato
I'm sure that many aren't really that bothered and probably not even looked the different picture settings. Probably some are still running their tv's in shop mode.

Last edited:
Associate
I turn them all off pretty much.

All that **** makes everything ten times horrible.

I still cannot for the live of me work out why that horrible "true motion" stuff is on as default on every TV and how most of the population are fine with it. How do people live with watching something that constantly changes frame rate? Mental.
For some people who grew up watching CRTs it still all looks like witchcraft

Caporegime
Like my parents. Until I arrived and set it to filmmaker mode and turned all that crap off. Looked so much better.

When I went to my parents tv my step dad had it in some oversize mode.
Ie. To remove the black bars.

It was filled to screen. So faces etc looked distorted. But apparently he wanted it that way.

Back
Top Bottom