Slow speed from USB-C 3.2 on external SSD on the MSI Z16 HX Studio Laptop (A13VGTA)

Associate
I've just purchased this laptop for video editing.

I work from an external SSD which I use on my PC and other laptops.

When I tried to open and run my video files the read speed of the USB-C is too slow to read the video files. I ran a speed check on CrystalDiskMark and the read speed was max 3.74 MB/s, jurrasically slow! The Write speed was up to 796.98 MB's

I plugged the same SSD into the Thunderbolt port next to the USB-C and this registered speeds of up to 1035.32 MB/s.

Is there a problem with this USB-C port or the software?

I want to use the Thunderbolt for my monitor, so I need the USB-C to perform as it should so I edit my video files. right now it can't even play more than a second back without pausing or lagging.

Not the best start to a brand new laptop. Can anyone help with a solution?

This is the read speed using the external SSD plugged into the USB-C 3.2

And this is the read speed with the same external SSD and cable using the Thunberbolt 4 port

Thanks, B

Soldato
I would guess the USB-C port is somehow faulty. It might be something as simple as a dry joint on the connector but I think you'll need to contact the supplier to get it sorted.

Associate
Have you got any other cables you can try? My laptop is picky what USB-C cable it works with, some get speeds as slow as yours even though they work fine on other computers

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I raised a ticket with MSI, and they have asked me to do a EC reset and uninstall the USD drivers. I have done that and I get good speeds now.
CrystalDiskMark_20240305134952abc.png

The video and Audio is still choppy when I play it back on Premiere Pro, where it plays just fine from the SSD via thunderbolt.

As it's only a few days old I'm thinking it might be wise to return it to Overclockers and pick another model of Laptop.

Using the USB-C 3.2 as a Display Port, it won't recognise my monitor which currently works fine on my other laptop (Asus G14 USB-C display port).
Again the Thunderbolt works fine as a display port. And if the Display Port USB-C 3.2 worked I could have just plugged the SSD into the Thunderbolt and it would be a workable machine for editing.

IMG-7515.jpg

Back
Top Bottom