Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

Soldato
My electric for the past 3 months taking into account export too…..has only been £24.

Up to 5th April our electric has cost £95.

2023 electric costs are minus £1193, so even after taking into account the gas bill, we were still £405 in profit, and it was only early April that I moved onto Flux.

I've included saving session, export and FITS payments in the above, and 2023 also had one referral.

Soldato

2023 electric costs are minus £1193, so even after taking into account the gas bill, we were still £405 in profit, and it was only early April that I moved onto Flux.

I've included saving session, export and FITS payments in the above, and 2023 also had one referral.
Thats some good profit that…….im not sure what i was for the full year of 2023.

Soldato

Minus £1193 that is some result!

Combo of large battery storage, good year for the saving sessions with the excess usage thing, and flux paying out very well I think?

I expect this year to be a little worse than last due to some of the above.

According to my GE inverter, 2024 has so far cost me £213 import against £62 in export payments, so around £150 for about 4 months, which I think is pretty decent considering my typical usage is fairly high, and we're not into the main bit of the year for generation fully yet.

This figure doesn't include standing charges or things like saving sessions though.

Soldato
Yes, they decreased what we get for export far more than import decreased, so I really don't expect this year to be as good, although the FITS generation will have increased, so that will offset it a bit.

April 2023 bill.

Import 19.53p,32.55p and 45.57p (cheap, day & peak)
Export 23.18p and 36.85p (day & peak)

Now.

Import 15.175p, 25,292p and 35.409p
Export 15.652p and 25.94p

So whilst import cheap rate has dropped 4.36p, day export has dropped 7.53p and peak 10.91p

Soldato
Yes, they decreased what we get for export far more than import decreased, so I really don't expect this year to be as good, although the FITS generation will have increased, so that will offset it a bit.

April 2023 bill.

Now.

So whilst import cheap rate has dropped 4.36p, day export has dropped 7.53p and peak 10.91p
I think flux will be removed this year as fixed export, agile, tracker are better options

Associate

April 2023 bill.

Now.

It's even worse here as the standing charge has shot up so the rate prices have to be lower to hit the price cap. The export rates have gone down in proportion as a result so its even more units per day just to offset the standing charge.

Rather annoyingly I didn't get on Flux export until 21st July so missed out on by about £170 last year (thanks EDF for messing up my export meter).

Associate
I think flux will be removed this year as fixed export, agile, tracker are better options
I have been considering switching to Agile Import and Fixed Export but can't quite decide if it's better or worse than Flux. Standard day rate export is fractionally higher, but obviously miss out on the peak rate export, and of course in the summer I'm still generating a reasonable amount at that point, plus usually adding a bit of extra export from the battery, so I think the Flux export total will be better. Obviously the benefit comes from the better overnight rate on Agile, but obviously that can fluctuate and with an 8.2KWh battery, I'm not sure if I get enough benefit from that to offset the worse export. Probably need to do some proper sums.

Of course, Agile does require a bit more messing about to get the absolute best from it as really need to be picking the best 30 minute periods to charge, not just charging for a set period overnight.

Soldato
For the summer I'm sticking with Flux, for the reasons you state above, except I have 29kWh of batteries and 8kW inverter, so can make far more use of the peak period export.

I've not looked extensively at the Agile rates, but often the cheapest is around 15p so on a par with Flux cheap rate, I don't think the occasional cheaper rates will offset the Flux peak period exports. I've not done any sums so just gut feeling. Winters a different matter.

Associate
I'm on Flux but have a dilemma due to me not fully understanding the tariffs!

I'm getting a plug in hybrid this week as it currently suits my needs over full EV at present and a charge point installed within 8 weeks (Octopus lead time) I cant understand which tariff to go on for charging the PHEV, Charging my Solar's battery and getting paid for export.

Octopus website says they have an Octopus lite which pays export at 8p and EV and battery charging as per Octopus Go. It also appears that you can have Intelligent Octopus and still get paid for export. I'm confused!

Can anyone advise?

Soldato
It’s entirely dependent on your usage and generation/export.

The general rule of thumb is if your export is more than 1.4 times your import then flux may be the way to go otherwise Intelligent Octopus Go or Agile tend to work out better. Regular ‘Go’ doesn’t tend to fare favourably due to low export rates and Intelligent Octopus Go requires a compatible car OR car charger, the list is on their website. There is also Intelligent Flux if you have a compatible battery.

We can’t tell you which is best without more information and even then it’s a bit of a finger lick.

Last edited:
Associate
It’s entirely dependent on your usage and generation/export.

The general rule of thumb is if your export is more than 1.4 times your import then flux may be the way to go otherwise Intelligent Octopus Go or Agile tend to work out better. Regular ‘Go’ doesn’t tend to fare favourably due to low export rates and Intelligent Octopus Go requires a compatible car OR car charger, the list is on their website. There is also Intelligent Flux if you have a compatible battery.

We can’t tell you which is best without more information and even then it’s a bit of a finger lick.
Thanks for taking the time to reply

My solar is 11 panels at 430W each. Daily Electricity is up to 11kwh. Solar battery is a Givenergy 9.5kwh. The PHEV is Octopus intelligent compatible as will be the Zappi charge point.

I appreciate you saying its a bit of finger licking as that's probably the bit I struggled with thinking the answer would be straightforward and I was missing something.

Soldato
My strategy is using intelligent Octopus, I charge my battery to full overnight daily and I export all my surplus generation during the day. I’ve got a big array (10kw split east/west) and a 13.5kwh battery but I’ve also got a heat pump and full EV to charge to my usage is also high.

Those on flux don’t tend to use it during the winter and swap to Go, Agile or Intelligent go.

I may be slightly better off on flux over the summer but it’s hard to judge the cost off point and the difference between the two is very small in reality.

As mentioned the general rule of thumb is if your export is 1.4 your import then flux/intelligent flux may be the way forward. You’d need to look at your own numbers though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Made a bit of a stupid mistake this morning. Putting in a load of under floor/between joist insulation and tidying up as I go so removing old cables etc, thought oh these are for the old virgin box which coincidentally ran to the exact same place I'll just chop them out to clear up the space, snipped all 4 and on the last got a spark, knew immediately what I'd done, phoned up the company and after having a little laugh and ensuring no touching they've been out this afternoon, patched them all together and put them neatly back in, system all back to normal. lucky escape for me!

Soldato
Was it the actual PV cable's?

I'm guessing as it was four they were, it has been said that PV cable looks too much like coax, and diyers often think it is. Luckily you are OK, and you got it fixed quickly.
Yep, the dc from the panels to inverter! Was that realisation as soon as I did it what I'd done. In the loft it's obviously marked up but where it's been pushed under the floorboards it's not labelled and stupidly I thought it was coax. Can't say a better word about Solar Powerful, been excellent all the way through install, when my inverter died and today. Wouldn't hesitate to go with them if I ever move or get additional bits.

Soldato
Yes, its a weird feeling when you do something and suddenly realise what you've just done the instant its too late, I think we've all been there one way or another.

I think all installers should adopt PV Ultra, its much safer, although its more expensive, but it may work out cheaper as installation is quicker, and no need for labels.

Back
Top Bottom