Spain House Build - Land Bought

Soldato
As such, we've got our kitchen pretty much designed. I'm half tempted to import from DIY Kitchens because of how crazy expensive everything is here!

although I've had a galley kitchen , I wouldn't have a unit wall on one end of the sink, you loose ability to prep stuff on one side with easy access to sink,
and have ongoing cleanup of pans, say, on the other, and it's maybe claustrophobic;
I've had double bowled one small/one big sinks/Franke in most places too, so that you can multi-task - maybe your cad system didn't have one.

Do you have sufficient work surface space for u-wave or other appliances too ? (that can't be put on an island, versus work surfaces against wall)

Parents just had porcelain tiles on bathroom(bungalow) floor - I find they are very cold underfoot, versus lino type stuff I've had so far..

Soldato
OP
although I've had a galley kitchen , I wouldn't have a unit wall on one end of the sink, you loose ability to prep stuff on one side with easy access to sink,
and have ongoing cleanup of pans, say, on the other, and it's maybe claustrophobic;
I've had double bowled one small/one big sinks/Franke in most places too, so that you can multi-task - maybe your cad system didn't have one.

Do you have sufficient work surface space for u-wave or other appliances too ? (that can't be put on an island, versus work surfaces against wall)

Parents just had porcelain tiles on bathroom(bungalow) floor - I find they are very cold underfoot, versus lino type stuff I've had so far..

My theory was we just use the other side. There's around 1.4m between the sink and the hob which should be enough room. The sink is a single unit which is 76cm wide. We've typically had 1.5 sinks before but this time we're just going for a big single sink. Feels better. You can now get cool drainage slatted things too which fit over one side for drying pots, but have silicone edges so they roll/fold to save space when not needed. Seems a great invention.
We toyed with the idea of the sink in the island, but i preferred to just keep that completely empty. Same with the hob on the island. It feels nice, but then you're messing with built in hob extractors which i don't really want.

The aim is for all appliances to be stored in the cupboard on the left. Similar to what @kai has in his recent thread. The only thing on the worktop will likely be a coffee machine/kettle (left of hob). Although i'm tempted by a boiling water tap again.

Yeah, they can be cold, but just doesn't seem much alternative out here. Especially as we're going for the whole indoor/outdoor thing, so will have the same tiles throughout the house and then out to the pool too. Proper wood would be too much maintenance and tricky to keep clean with the dust. With the tiles we can set a robovac going and use a steam mop.

Reactions: kai

kai

kai

Soldato
A clutter-free work surface is the way forward; it's easier to clean and aesthetically pleasing. I would strongly recommend installing a hot water tap. I was somewhat skeptical, but now that we actually have to get the kettle out of the larder, you really realize how much it's used.

We will be purchasing a hot water tap in the next few months. If you are on the fence, just make sure to have electricity installed under the sink in preparation.

Soldato
OP
A clutter-free work surface is the way forward; it's easier to clean and aesthetically pleasing. I would strongly recommend installing a hot water tap. I was somewhat skeptical, but now that we actually have to get the kettle out of the larder, you really realize how much it's used.

We will be purchasing a hot water tap in the next few months. If you are on the fence, just make sure to have electricity installed under the sink in preparation.

Yeah, we had one in the last house, and it was great not messing with a kettle. Just unsure if it's a day 1 purchase or down the line. Makes sense to just fit it in straight away though.

Soldato
My wife is keen on being super efficient and planning pretty early. So that we're not causing any delays as we get to it with decisions. She also knows the value of having a design early so you get loads of time to think about it.

As such, we've got our kitchen pretty much designed. I'm half tempted to import from DIY Kitchens because of how crazy expensive everything is here!

x1y7vAD.png

We've also settled on the floor tiles (ignore they're used on the walls here!)

0Cp6bGY.png
Id swap hob and sink around, or at least offset it from a wall by at least a couple of clicks

Soldato
OP
Id swap hob and sink around, or at least offset it from a wall by at least a couple of clicks

Yeah. Think the sink unit is 100cm and the hob is 120cm. We could switch those around. Would then give ~25cm from the wall.

I'm not particularly a huge fan of the shaker style for this kitchen. Especially not that specific one as it was a bit more fussy than a plain shaker style. Makes the uneven drawer lines look wrong. Having them plain would blend in much better.

Soldato
I’d put the sink in the island, then you have a better triangle between hob/sink/oven and no space to the right seems worse for usability if right handed, not to mention water gets everywhere, so tight to a unit will also be less than ideal.

All IMO, we ended up with the sink in the island, since it was that or the hob, but cost of extractor and limited choices made us put the sink there and it’s worked out well, we have the drain grooves in the worktop to the right and dishwasher and bins underneath..

Soldato
OP
Cheers, it's definitely something we keep bouncing around with. I think for me it's that i don't want a load of dishes piled up on the island. Especially as it's going to be pretty central to the whole room. If something is going in the island i think i'd take the financial hit and make it the hob and then move the sink to where the hob is now.

Funnily enough my friends parents have just bought a place over here and completely gutted and renovated it. They've got the hob with a built in extractor and hate it as they said any bit of water turns it off and then want to swap it. I joked i'd have it :D

Have actually found a Beko one for €800 which isn't as bad as i thought. I think my main hesitation is the venting of it, it's going to be solid concrete floor, so need to do some reading on how effective it is as surely it needs a bit of power to pull the air from the hob, then force it down some ducting and then along ~3m to outside.

Last edited:
Associate
1lhhLCa.png

Sorry about the crap photoshop but what about moving the large cupboard next to the oven then you would have working space around both the sink and the hob.

Soldato
yes that's way better .. you get more light from outside on complete hob/sin surface

swapping hob and maintaining cupboard would preclude being able to put hot pans on either side (on trivet), even clearance to get heavy pans with both hands, big handles swung out too side ..... safety.

e: putting sink in the middle seems irrevocable if you ever wanted to put in a large farmhouse table instead of island
e2: are islands really comfortable for eating breakfast ... propped on a stool .. sufficient room for laptop ??

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
@roccles I agree, that does probably work better. I might run it by the wife, although she's keen on the symmetry. Otherwise i wonder if i could rework the surfaces so that the hob is closer to the oven, then move the sink further over to the left so that it's spread out more.

@jpaul Islands aren't ideal for eating i don't think. It's more just for company i always found. Sometimes if i made tea in our last house, my wife would sit on the stool and we'd chat. It's fine for breakfast or a quick snack too, but whilst there's space for a laptop i'd never want to sit there with one properly.

Back
Top Bottom