Sparkies please-2 way switching

Soldato
Evening guys... this has got me scratching my head :/

I've been doing some work in my house, replacing ceilings and the likes. I've come to wire the switches for the hallway lights and I've been stumped.

Ive got 1 ceiling rose upstairs and 1 downstairs. 1 switch at the bottom one at the top obviously with the idea being that either switch will turn both lights on or off.

I just cannot get it to work properly though... I've got it so that there's always one light on. Either up or down, not both. The switching of either up or down switches the lights over. Still only one illuminated!

Upstairs switch has 3 core +E cable and a twin +E.
The twin goes to the upstairs ceiling rose.
The 3 core goes to the downstairs switch.
The ceiling rose has the pendant and the twin +E from the switch

Downstairs switch has 3 core+E from upstairs and and a twin +E.
The twin goes to the downstairs ceiling rose.
The 3 core goes to the upstairs switch.
The ceiling rose has pendant, the ring and the twin from the downstairs switch.

Whats happening guys?

I'm almost sure it worked right when I bought the house but tbh it's that long ago I actually cannot remember. I haven't added or removed any circuits simply replaced the roses and switches once the new ceiling were up.

I can do a little diagram if it helps :)

lighting%20diagram_zpswsktruml.png

lighting%20detail_zpsxaikqgbw.png

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Right, paint diagram is correct.

Did as you say and taking each bulb out 1 at a time made no odds... I've taken everything to bits and going through it all labeling as I go...

Plan for now is to leave the 3 core as it is and just wire one pendant to the other... That way I should have the switched live at both switches by both pendants will be fed in series... I think I've got that right... I'll draw it out and get back to you :)

Soldato
OP
I'm just trying to piece back together what was already there... The only thing I can think of is whether he may have run a separate core to the upstairs rose to provide the neutral and I pulled it out thinking it was surplus as I already had the 3 core :/
Been well over a year since I pulled the ceilings down though so I can't actually remember :(

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all of your input guys. I've lifted the flooring and dug holes in the wall so I could run another cable in as suggested...

Overall a simple fix to a problems that I'm struggling to see how it came to be but never mind... Job done now :)

Once again thanks for your help :)

Back
Top Bottom