Spec me a bug zapper!

Associate
As per thread title really. Needs to work on very small flies.

We've seemingly got a biblical plague of flies covering the whole town at the moment so I'll never get rid of them completely but we have clouds and clouds of the little mosquito-y looking ones filling the garden and pouring inside whenever we open the door.

I've tried one of those tennis racquet zappers but although it works pretty well on regular flies these are either too light and bounce off or they're so small the go through. Swinging it through a cloud of them failed to get a single one.

I've also tried one of the little battery powered UV lamps but as they were just UV LEDs I'm not convinced it has much draw and they carry on swarming around without noticing.

So, my thought now is to get one of those industrial ones you see in food establishments but really it's athe same system as the tennis racquet so don't hold out much hope. Anyone got some tips from dealing with similar or any other ideas?

Associate
OP
While this might work, they don't seem to do a machine gun version which is more along the lines of what I'd need...

Soldato
As per thread title really. Needs to work on very small flies.

We've seemingly got a biblical plague of flies covering the whole town at the moment so I'll never get rid of them completely but we have clouds and clouds of the little mosquito-y looking ones filling the garden and pouring inside whenever we open the door.

I've tried one of those tennis racquet zappers but although it works pretty well on regular flies these are either too light and bounce off or they're so small the go through. Swinging it through a cloud of them failed to get a single one.

I've also tried one of the little battery powered UV lamps but as they were just UV LEDs I'm not convinced it has much draw and they carry on swarming around without noticing.

So, my thought now is to get one of those industrial ones you see in food establishments but really it's athe same system as the tennis racquet so don't hold out much hope. Anyone got some tips from dealing with similar or any other ideas?

I went for the Nitecore EMR30 although not really used it yet. Some suggest it'd work and others suggest it's only for mosquitos.

I read some things suggest that those bug zappers just attract bugs, so whilst they kill a lot they also attract more to the area thus removing a lot of benefit.

Associate
OP
I went for the Nitecore EMR30 although not really used it yet. Some suggest it'd work and others suggest it's only for mosquitos.

I read some things suggest that those bug zappers just attract bugs, so whilst they kill a lot they also attract more to the area thus removing a lot of benefit.
Interesting thanks, not something I've come across before. Sounds a bit like an electronic citronella candle with an ultrasonic element as well. If you do get to using it in anger I'd be interested to hear your thoughts, will read around as well.

Only thing is I'd be worried about the ultrasound annoying the dog at which point it's a bit of an over the top electric heater. Something for me to look into.

I did also try an old fashioned candle in the garden the other day when doing some pruning but it was still pretty unpleasant.

Soldato
Interesting thanks, not something I've come across before. Sounds a bit like an electronic citronella candle with an ultrasonic element as well. If you do get to using it in anger I'd be interested to hear your thoughts, will read around as well.

Only thing is I'd be worried about the ultrasound annoying the dog at which point it's a bit of an over the top electric heater. Something for me to look into.

I did also try an old fashioned candle in the garden the other day when doing some pruning but it was still pretty unpleasant.

Our dog didn't seem bothered about it when we tried it out, but obviously he's a dog so no idea if he was affected and just suffering in silence!

Back
Top Bottom