Spec me a nice area to live, near Crawley

Soldato
So, I've gone and got myself a job down in Crawley, starting in September (yay for me :)).

The thing is, I live up in Bedfordshire and have no idea about the West Sussex/Surrey area. I've got a couple of months to find a nice place to live, so hoped that the few of you who live in that area may be able to provide me with your opinions - where's cheap/expensive, nice/rough, which roads tend to turn into carparks in rush hour, etc.

There are three things to bear in mind though.
1. Has to be within commutable distance to Crawley (for obvious reasons).
2. Ideally situated so that it won't take a day to travel back up to Bedford/Milton Keynes.
3. Ideally near to or within a town, as I'm pretty fed up with living out in a tiny village where I am now :p

The obvious and simplest choice would be to live in Crawley itself, but I've heard it's not that nice a town, or is it?

Soldato
OP
Well, my plans have now changed somewhat. The misses is pretty much refusing to move much further than Woking, as it's nearer to home :(
So, this means an hours commute for me, weyhey!...

SO, what's the Woking/Guildford area like? Any nice villages/towns around there?... :o

Edit: Appreciating the input though guys, thanks :)

Soldato
OP
Commuting from Woking to Gatwick by car will be VERY painful, seeing as you'll be going round the M25 and down the M23!
I know this, I have told her this, but she doesn't quite seem to grasp the concept. She just doesn't want to move too far from family and friends, even if it means I have to do an enormous and painful commute twice a day :rolleyes:

I'll carry on trying to persuade her, will hopefully get somewhere!

Soldato
OP
Oh, Welshy, i used to do M23 and M25 from gatwick to staines daily (and return), its a horrible drive. Back roads do nothing to speed things up.
I was hoping backroads might be able to allow me to bypass the rush hour traffic on the motorways :(

Yeah I also understand what you mean by the distance thing, 20 minutes farther from home won't make much difference to her, but if it's 20 minutes extra on top of my commute then it will make a massive difference...

I'm looking at maybe Redhill/Reigate as a compromise - Gives me a 30 minute ish commute, and her an extra 15 minute drive home.

I'm sure I'll keep you all updated, wanting more local informations :D

Back
Top Bottom