Spec me a sandybridge upgrade!

Associate
I know there are a million and one build threads, but I need a little help please.

My PC is currently doing my nut in with its annoying issues (cold and warm boot issues, constant BF4 crashes with my HD7970 etc.). I bought this PC second hand a few years ago so was not responsible for the build, other than adding a so called better GPU! I have done all I can to remedy this but the issues are so random! So, I am using this as an excuse to build a new machine :)

I do not have a budget, but I am not made of money. I will get a 1070 for the GPU as 1080 is too much for me to justify right now! I want this build for gaming and will not be using a res greater (for the time being) of more than 1440. 1080p now but will get a new monitor soon too.

I have a have decent cooler master case I will probably keep (but offer me a good suggestion anyway) and HDD/SSD's etc. Therefore, I am looking for help with:

Case (tower)
Motherboard
RAM (16 gig?)
CPU/COOLER (quiet)
GPU choice (of the 1070 options)
Maybe new PSU as I am not sure to trust this one!

cheers in advance.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
no budget in mind, just decent stuff. I don't want stuff for the sake of no budget though. So, if a 40 quid cooler does a great job then I do not want an £80 quid cooler, for example. I do like to overclock though but will only use one GPU too.

Associate
OP
Cheers for the suggestions. I have the corsair H60 cooler currently, not sure if V2 though. I am not really impressed with temps, unless mine is now dodgy. Both look good apart from that thanks.

With regards BF4, it was crashing on loading multiplayer maps, so I upgraded drivers. Then it started giving me red screen pc crash (no error message, just sold red screen after 5-10 minutes). My HD7970 matrix edition runs doom etc. just fine with no crashes etc. It is only BF4 so maybe it is drivers like you said then. Edit to say, yes I had mantle on! So I might try without mantle, ta.

I noticed this morning that my Sata settings in Bios were set to IDE and not AHCI. I remember years ago someone saying with crucial M4 it should be set to AHCI, so I have now done that.

My PC booting issues I thought might be down to some dodgy BIOS setting or my overclock, so again I reset everything to try and fix. I have not had issues this morning on cold or warm bot, but I have not dared to touch BF4 :)

If my PC remains stable again, I might get the 1070 GPU, try that. If I continue to get issues I can then get the other new bits and drop that GPU in to complete a new build then.

PC gaming eh, don't you just love it!

Associate
OP
yeah I got the matrix from here, on a special I think yeah. It has behaved on other games though I have found.

PSU is a corsair 750TX I think.

Associate
OP
After much investigation today it would appear to be the graphics card. I have managed to drop a spare in with nothing else changed from before and I have had no issues all day since in any application. I will contact overclockers about it as I understand it is still under warranty.

New GPU at least 100 percent required now :D

Back
Top Bottom