Switching Sky->BT on a full cabinet

Soldato
Hoping somebody has had some experience with this sort of issue.

We're looking at switching our ISP since the contract period on our Sky fibre has expired and the total cost per month is jumping up quite significantly. Virgin doesn't service our road and I've been looking at BT infinity, however the cabinet is apparently at capacity, and therefore they're unable to add any new customers.

However, as I understand, it should simply be a case of switching our line from Sky to BT. I spoke to a salesman from BT on the phone and I got the feeling that it might be possible but not under the sales system that he had in front of him. Am I grasping at straws and am I stuck with what I have for now?

Would appreciate any experience you could share :)

Soldato
OP
I wouldn't risk it. Far too much chance of someone grabbing your port during the switch.

My experience of BT - I wouldn't risk it :| seen so many reports on thinkbroadband, etc. forums where people have had their port nabbed by the next customer in the queue mid switching on stuff like that :S

This is exactly my worry, would rather keep the expensive FTTC connection than risk be stuck on ADSL2.. :(

I went through the exact same thing when switching from BT to Plusnet. I had a lengthy discussion with Plusnet (who were actually very helpful) and assured me the migration would be straight forward despite the cabinet being over capacity. Thankfully, they were right and i migrated without issue.

I moved from Sky to Zen internet when my cabinet was nigh on full. I asked Zen about the capacity and they told me that once the order was accepted by Openreach, I was guaranteed to be able to switch. Zen were correct and I didn't even need an Engineer visit.

It's good to know that it is possible at least, but for some reason switching to BT we can't get the same sort of guarantees? The 'tier 1' sales I was speaking to certainly didn't seem to have a clue.

I guess we can just wait until the cabinet capacity is better, but the deal I was looking at expires today so it would have been nice to take advantage while it's there.

Back
Top Bottom