Talk me through upgrading from Rift S to Quest 3.

Soldato
I have such a myriad of questions about it, I don't know where to start!

Firstly, I assume it's a given that I will see a major improvement?

Then, how do I use it? Is the majority (as long as not through Steam) standalone and nothing to do with my PC? Or will I be wanting to use it with the PC to run at its best?

If the latter - should I hold off even bothering with the upgrade until I have updated my PC (2070S, i7-8700K, 16GB)

I would assume something as relatively simple as Beat Saber would work standalone? But if so, what about all the mods? Will they still work?

When using it tethered, are we talking a single USB cable? Or even does it work fine wirelessly?

I am most excited about the upgrade for:
Playing Beat Saber without wires being a pest.
Playing racing sims (PC3, AMB2) with even better long distance viewing (the change from Rift to Rift S made such a difference to judging the approach to distant corners, I'm hoping for a similar improvement again)
Revisiting HL:Alyx (which I still haven't ever completed!)

Any other tips and thoughts also gratefully received!

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the replies!

I'm not sure I understand fully about the tracking discussion which has started though. You're talking about hand tracking I think - but is the suggestion that running it air-linked to the PC might be having a detrimental effect on that?

And is the consensus that the easiest way to keep custom songs on Beat Saber is to use it attached to the PC?

Soldato
OP
Oh - my router is a Sky Homehub. I am loath to move away from it really, as it is beneficial for the house as a whole that it uses the miniboxes as repeaters. So I hope it is going to be good enough for this purpose. it certainly doesn't have 6ghz.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Next question - as I'm considering a PC upgrade anyway:

I've seen stuff about a 4090 being needed to really drive the headset to its best. Any truth in that?

Back
Top Bottom