The F1 mid-season report

Commissario
We don't get overtakes very much without DRS simply because the cars are generally so evenly paced because they're built to such tight specifications.

When there's less than a second difference between the top ten cars over a 3 mile lap, the only way anyone's going to overtake is if the driver in front makes a mistake.

There no real scope for innovation because the regulations are so tight. If the regulations simply said "Here are your minimum and maximum dimensions and weight, here's the engine capacity and cylinder count, off you go and build a car" then it'd be so much more fun ;)

Caporegime
OP
We don't get overtakes very much without DRS simply because the cars are generally so evenly paced because they're built to such tight specifications.

When there's less than a second difference between the top ten cars over a 3 mile lap, the only way anyone's going to overtake is if the driver in front makes a mistake.

I don't think this is true. Formulas with more tightly specced cars seem to have more overtaking not less, just look at F2, F3, or IndyCar.

There no real scope for innovation because the regulations are so tight. If the regulations simply said "Here are your minimum and maximum dimensions and weight, here's the engine capacity and cylinder count, off you go and build a car" then it'd be so much more fun ;)

I do agree thought that things would be better with less regulation. Probably need a little bit more than you suggest to ensure safety, etc. but I think a more open set of rules would be better, especially on the mechanical and suspension end of things.

Associate
Most boring in a long time, even the highlights are dull. It wouldn’t be so bad if Max at least had a competitive teammate. On the plus side, many of the recent Netflix fans seem to have switched off.

Definitely less popular over in the US this season, most people in the office I work with talked a lot about the 2021 season and DTS. Last two seasons not so much

Back
Top Bottom