The Great OcUK Rock Music Questionnaire - 20-28yr olds

Soldato
I thought this might be an interesting idea for the forum and would give a nice gauge of everyone's different musical tastes across the generations.

Basically there will be three discussion threads in which people of the set age group can post a selection of answers to music related questions. The idea is to get a broader view of what artists different generations rate and feel have made a big impact on their listening. I want to try and keep it as condensed as possible, so there will only be a few categories. If it goes well, I'll consider adding more categories later.

Age groups:-

<14-19yrs old - Link
20-28yrs old - Link
29yrs old+ - Link

On to the categories and a brief description of them:-

Age:- More out of interest to guage if there's much split within the generations.

A. Five favourite bands.

This one is as simple as it sounds. List your five favourite overall bands, not just the latest bands you like at the minute but the five bands you consistently find yourself listening to. Rate them as follows:-

B. Most influential bands of our generation.

This one is a bit more involved. List the top five bands who you think have made the biggest contribution to music since you've been listening to music.

C. Most influential bands of all time.

This one encompasses all the bands since Chuck Berry first picked up a guitar :) Again, top five.

The questionnaire will be open until the 25th of August.

Once that date closes, I'll announce the winners for each age category and the overall winners based on number of votes in each category.

I'd also really like there do be some high quality discussion and reasons given for your choices. This should hopefully get some good debate going over bands who some people might not have heard before. Try and keep it as civilised as possible and don't let it turn into arguments such as 'X is far better than Y because Y suck'.

Also, try and stick to your own thread! Tempting though it might be to poke the kids or the geriatrics in the eye with your musical stick of knowledge, it'll also be interesting to see who can produce the best discussion topic!

Let the discussion commence!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

A. Five favourite bands.

1. Queens of the Stone Age - Four intense albums (more if you include Kyuss) and devastating in their heyday live.
2. Pearl Jam - One of the tightest bands on the face of the earth, album after album of quality material and one of rocks best singers.
3. Smashing Pumpkins - Same as above.
4. Tool - Same as above.
5. Weezer - Arguably a far more bubblegum choice, but great songwriting, a really enjoyable live show and great lyrics.

B. Most influential bands of our generation.

1. At The Drive-In - Very little needs to be said that hasn't been said in my thread about them - here
2. Refused - In the short time they were together they pushed things forward exponentially and spawned a lot of imitators
3. Rage Against The Machine - What can you say, political, angry, all amazing musicians and arguably the forefathers of the whole 'nu-metal' explosion along with the Deftones
4. Nirvana - A band I find hard to listen to in anything but the smallest doses, they were responsible for sweeping away the cataclysm that was hair metal. They also opened the door for a lot of other even better bands who would possibly not have been signed without their success - Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins
5. Radiohead - Their sound has evolved immensely since the (sadly) underrated Pablo Honey, they've also given us some of the most anthemic songs of our generation. They also created Muse, which for Showbiz and Origin was a great thing, less so nowadays.

C. Most influential bands of all time.

1. The Who - They basically invented rock and live performance as we know it today. Their music still holds up extremely well and they still outclass a lot of young bands with their live act.
2. Iron Maiden - Created popular metal as we know it today. Influenced scores of bands, including Metallica - who probably wouldn't exist without the Irons.
3. The Beatles - Almost single-handedly created the pop music industry. Before Beatlemania there hadn't been such a wide fanbase for a pop music band. I personally can't stand a lot of their material, but they were hugely influential.
4. Bob Dylan - I was torn between Cat Stevens and Bobbo here, but for the furtherment of folk music and political action I have to give it to Dylan.
5. Nine Inch Nails - Totally different to 99% of what was going on when they first surfaced. They would deserve to be in here for 'The Fragile' alone practically, but when you look at the comprehensive body of work and the live performance aspect they're a shoe in for this category.

Try to have a bit of discussion as well as just posting your choices!

Soldato
OP
aix0 said:
I wouldn't count some of the entries as rock, but was this supposed to be a questionnaire purely on rock music?

As for the Arctic Monkeys, I'd say having sold in excess of 100,000 albums in one day is quite influential.

How many copies did the Spice Girls album shift in the first day? Sales popularity neither indicates musical quality or being influential.

I don't see how a band who were signed less than a year ago can have influenced any bands at all, let alone been influential enough to make a top 5 of bands from our lifetime.

Back
Top Bottom