The nervous wait to exchange....

Soldato
Appreciate this is a bit of a "how long's a piece of string" question but I seem to be getting substantially different quotes for conveyancing for buying + selling. Online comparison tool quotes about £2k, whereas local firms about £3.5k. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Caporegime
Appreciate this is a bit of a "how long's a piece of string" question but I seem to be getting substantially different quotes for conveyancing for buying + selling. Online comparison tool quotes about £2k, whereas local firms about £3.5k. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Local firms will give you a better quality of service, most likely, but if there's nothing complex about the sale or purchase, I'd just use an online job. They're not as good, but the better service from traditional outfits is not worth the difference in price in my experience and opinion.

Reactions: TNA
Soldato
Our buyers have pulled out, back on the market for us. They said due to cost of living crisis they can't afford it.

That doesn't make sense, sounds like kids in a sweet shop to me

although I have been seeing a pattern over the last couple of years

16yr old - 5 bed detached with garage £270k
new - 3 bed semi no garage £265k

Guess which ones been sat on the market for the last 12 months, and the others all sold offplan!

New, new, shiny, shiny

Last edited:
Associate
Given the total cost of buying selling and moving I wouldn't cheap out on conveyancing. If they're slow they could drag time to complete on and stress chains. If it's an online one make sure you've got a dedicated case handler you can pick up the phone to see what's going on Vs a nebulous team where no one person is responsible for your house.

Soldato

I can give you a recent example on my purchase. A recommended local firm (who did a good job) were £1,500 + VAT for their fees for the purchase. Then on top of that there's the disbursements (land registry fee, registration, searches etc.) which put another grand on top of that.

Associate
That doesn't make sense, sounds like kids in a sweet shop to me

although I have been seeing a pattern over the last couple of years

16yr old - 5 bed detached with garage £270k
new - 3 bed semi no garage £265k

Guess which ones been sat on the market for the last 12 months, and the others all sold offplan!

New, new, shiny, shiny
Yeah not sure to be honest, they were messing about from the beginning. Got some viewings lined up for tomorrow and over the weekend. Have also dropped price from £425k to offers over £400k.

Soldato

Circa £1,500 sale inc VAT.
Circa £2,500-3,000 purchase. (Land registry/stamp duty forms usually about £4-500 of this, searches approx £400).

Value of the property can play a part.

Would heed the advice on how slow conveyancing can stress a chain and factor this against your own position, how easily and quickly you secured a sale.

Associate
£3.5k is probably quite decent if it includes everything except stamp duty. I was quite surprised how much it had gone up by when I sold a flat last year - £1.2k just for sale and that was with a conveyancer up north near where I live. Same conveyancer charged £650 for a sale in 2017.
The conveyancers local to the property near London were around £2k just for sale.

Last edited:
Soldato
£3.5k is probably quite decent if it includes everything except stamp duty. I was quite surprised how much it had gone up by when I sold a flat last year - £1.2k just for sale and that was with a conveyancer up north near where I live. Same conveyancer charged £650 for a sale in 2017.
The conveyancers local to the property near London were around £2k just for sale.

I paid £600 when buying, about 2 years ago... That was just the 'Labour' cost... Charges for searches etc were on top of that but they are all fixed price things anyway.

Last edited:
Associate
Just heard we have an offer of 405 from somebody that's seen our property before so that is good news. Hopefully we get more offers as vendors of property we are buying have given us 3 weeks to get new buyers. Have to admit it's a relief, great just before the weekend. Pleasure of living in London, it's a fast market :D

Associate
We reduced our price from £475k to £465k last week and have accepted an offer for £460k from first time buyers.

At the weekend we saw a new build that's ready to go now (the previous buyers had to pull out), put in an offer of £9k less than asking, will see by tomorrow if they go for it.

Soldato
Our house is up for sale now. Two viewings requested within the first hour of it being live. Hopefully it's been priced fairly and appeals to lots of first-time buyers. Fair play to the estate agent, the advert looks great, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom