The new F1 entrants . . . Campos, Manor, US F1 and Lotus/Proton

Transmission breaker
Don
Maybe. The fact remains that they never really did particularly well in F1 on any of their attempts (the best being that link up with the Honda works team in the '60s). I still don't think they'd have done well even with the extra year to prepare.

That '97 effort does have to go down in history as one of the most farcical attempts at breaking into F1. Almost rivals Andrea Moda, and Life with their W12 engine. To pitch up at the opening round with a car that either hadn't seen any wind tunnel time at all or had seen only limited running in one....no wonder it was making all drag and no downforce.

Lola were a victim of Mastercard's impatience. MCD screwed up the engine design. It was supposed to be ready by the first race (which in itself is too late), Lola were then forced to use an underpowered (ford Zetec-r) customer engine. Underpowered engine, in an undeveloped car. Was never going to set the world alight was it!

Mastercard forcing them to enter in 97 created all the problems. The engine delays could have been managed, and the car would have been able to run a full testing and development program, both in the wind-tunnel and on the track over 97, and into 98.

Sure, Lola should have stuck to their guns, and refused a 97 entry, that is their own fault. With the car building knowledge they had, they should have know a 97 entry was doomed, but the title sponsor force them into it :(

I believe that Lola would have been capable of making a decent car if the development had not been stunted, and the correct engine completed.

Soldato
It really isnt Lotus at all imo

40 years from now (unfortunately) its likely that Frank Williams and Patrick Head will have departed this earth (and all their current staff long since retired), but it could still be the same TEAM

In this instance the Malaysian Govn have backed a team that have bought the rights to a name - they have none of the heritage or anything like that, its just a name

Personally think people are fooling themselves if they think this team have any establishable link to the heritage of Lotus in motorsport history

Soldato
I'm not sure and I could be very wrong, but I do believe that Lotus has a small amount of motorsport history.

What with F1, Le Mans, Indy 500, Hill climbs, GT Racing....

After all, whats 13 F1 World Championships worth now... Nothing at all.

;)

Its not Lotus as in a going motorsport concern like Prodrive, Lola, Manor Motorsport - that was why I didn't include it.

Irrespective of what its precise name is, its not first and foremost a company built around motorsport. They will cobble the team together and give it the name Lotus.

Man of Honour
Always thought the 102 was a really pretty car.

Certainly was. The last few Lotus F1 cars were particularly good looking. 107 was a looker, as was the 109. 112 was looking a little ropey, but development was cancelled when the team went bankrupt.

And that particular 102 is yours for £165'000

Dear Santa....

Soldato
And that particular 102 is yours for £165'000

Might sound silly but...

Just out from school, all I wanted was a coffee house in Amsterdam and on the roof would be a painted track with a Camel sponsored F1 car - those I knew out there only seemed to smoke Camel.

Probably wouldn't work - racing cars, being busy, doing stuff, in a 'dam coffee house - but I loved the idea at the time.

Back
Top Bottom