*** The official Asus ROG Swift PG348Q 34" ultra-wide thread ***

Associate
I've got mine on pre-order with OCUK, any ideas when they're due in? Will you guys follow the same dead pixel policy with the last IPS ROG Swift??

Thanks

Associate
OP
I had the x34, it went back a few days later... I'm sure they're ok now, but the issues with them at the time were abysmal!

You're right about pascal and dp 1.3, but if you keep waiting on something, you'll never upgrade lol! I think 1440p @ 100hz will be good for a few years!

Associate
OP
Cool my thread got upgraded to the official one!

Anyways, got mine last night, super impressed with it... in a different league to the x34 - no g-sync lag/flickering at all (which was my biggest problem), OC straight to 100hz, build quality is bang on, all is good.

I've only one slight niggle and thats some blacklight bleed in the top LH corner. Before anyone says, I know the difference between BLB and IPS glow, this is defiantly BLB. Given this monitor ticks every other box, I'm reluctant to RMA as sods law I'll get a worse one, so I'm prepared to attempt a fix myself - has anyone tried the tap and rub or credit card "repair" before on this panel, or others? Any advice? Might the top fixing tightness not be uniform - if so, are they accessible without voiding the warranty?

Thanks guys

Associate
OP
Ha thanks, I had it on pre-order as soon as it came on the website!

Thanks guys, I'll try that tonight and get some pics up. I really don't want to RMA this bad boy. I didn't get much chance to put it through its paces but I couldn't detect any coil wine at all, not sure if this is related, but the transformer is external - I nearly flipped when I saw the super small power lead and was like.. oh yea.. there's more!

Associate
OP
OK chaps, update:

I got back home and realised I was being pretty anal, but decided to try to remove the very minor BLB in the top left anyway. All I can say is it worked a treat!! All I'm now getting it (pretty minor) IPS glow in the corners - the worse is the btm left - the pics below are an exaggeration really.

Touch wood* I've not yet to have a proper gaming session (that's this weekend!) but so far this is a REALLY good monitor guys, I can barely fault it - sorry to rub your nose in it Drazek!

Before fix:

http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s602/hadri1983/20160211_185720_zps4colt1iw.jpg

After

http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s602/hadri1983/20160211_192830_zpsjdjp2pge.jpg

Few others:

http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s602/hadri1983/20160211_191534_zpsacbywuff.jpg

http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s602/hadri1983/20160211_191507_zpsevvyjebx.jpg

http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s602/hadri1983/20160211_191642_zpsmzyzevdl.jpg

Sorry I used my phone, couldn't be bothered to get my SLR!!

Associate
OP
What did you do to remove it?

I used a fine cloth - the ones that come with screen cleaner, and gently applied enough pressure to the screen surface to get concentric circles on the screen when on and pushed along the frame edge (no bezel)) and into the corner. I was thinking the panel might not be "glued" or seated perfectly flush and it seemed to do the trick, literally going away after seconds, I've only IPS glow now.

EDIT:

I hope none of these screens suffer from scan lines, for the sake of the people who buy them :)

No scan lines at all on mine - it was the main reason my x34 went back and was the first thing I looked for on this one

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I didn't use the supplied cable, but the USB hub input could have been a bit longer for me as my PC is about 1m from the screen. Logic tells me the DP will be about the same, so say 1m ish at a guess. To be safe, buy a longer one, they're not expensive

Associate
OP
Na, it's not cheap, but nice things generally aren't! Do it buddy, you won't be disappointed!

I've come from tri-surround and just couldn't go back to a single 16:9 now. This is the perfect compromise, you get immersion, without the excessive FOV distortion on the last third of both end screens, hence wasted pixels. Oh and, the big one - no effin pi***ng about with compatibility and drivers! Surround gamers will know what I mean here!

The ONLY real negative thing is the IPS glow in the corners, but you simply just will get that on a monitor this wide. A little design niggle, I always assumed the fancy lighting effect on the bottom was a g-sync indicator which (I don't think) is the case, g-sync is indicated when the power light glows red - I have to move my head to see it, again would it be distracting if I could always see the power light, IDK.

Given the 27" IPS ROG Swift is 700 quid, this is defiantly worth the difference IMO!

Associate
OP
Can the ASUS logo be turned off? Will really annoy me seeing that and will be the deciding factor between that and the X34.

Been waiting for this panel so glad to see positive comments. Going through the process of selling off my LG monitor. Amusingly the exact same panel as this one and the ACER lol, but G-Sync and higher refresh rate are too appealing.

Do you mean the red logo "hologram" thing at the bottom? Yes that can be turned off, was actually off by default and there are 3 or 4 different intensity settings

Associate
OP
OK guys, I've put the monitor through its paces this weekend, if you can't be bothered to read it all, end of the day it's awesome, buy one! Oh and don't fiddle with NV inspector settings!

Bit of a background, I had the x34 and it went back, mainly due to g-sync scan lines - games used to test at the time and were affected were Tomb Raider 2013, Alien Isolation and Dying Light. For some reason I couldn't see any issues with Elite, Rust, ARK or Act of Aggression, probably because Elite is dark and the others are low FPS. Other problems were coil whine, IPS glow and disappointment with general build quality.

OK so my point is I've been pretty anal with testing this thing, particularly the g-sync flicker.

I spent most of Sat basically trying to look for problems. First of all, I set up the same as was on the x34 test by setting the fps cap to 95 in NV inspector and v-sync to force off (more on this later) as this should force g-sync to engage. I turned on the monitors inbuilt fps counter to compare to steams - with g-sync is on, the two should...well.. sync and both read 95!

No flickering at all in Alien and DL, BUT TR 2013 DID flicker and took me ages to figure out why - unlike the other two, this has an in-game monitor refresh rate setting which I also set at 95hz. I eventually realised this sets the MONITOR speed, not the graphics card (and should have been left at 100). With no difference between the two values and with v-sync off, if the g-card fps were to exceed the monitor by a slight amount, I simply wouldn’t notice. Either upping the in-game refresh rate, or lowering the NV cap to increase the distance between the two values solved it. I then spent ages trying to recreate the flickering with other settings and other games with no success under the cap and then purposely allowed the g-card fps to exceed the monitor which induced flicker - so I proved the statement from Nvidia's website the long winded way that turning v-sync off and allowing the refresh rate to exceed the monitor's will induce flicker.

I then experimented turning g-sync on and off and here’s the interesting thing. In NV inspector, the default setting for v-sync is "3D application settings", BUT turning g-sync on overrides this to "force ON". I've since concluded that this is for good reason (from above), the v-sync is basically acting as an fps cap for g-sync and I'm pretty certain even at max, it's g-syncing, not v. Cut a long story short, don't faff about with fps caps etc, just stick to the defaults!

To further prove there was no flicker and this wasn't just v-sync masking it all (I still wasn't settled in my head!), I set fps caps to 60-80 fps with no problems in multiple games. I then removed the fps cap (so everything back to default, remember v-sync is still force on), but then disabled SLI so games ran at roughly the same rate, again, no problems, smooth as butter!

I then played MGS V pretty much all day Sun, even with SLI on, this game ran at around 66-100hz all the time, pretty much sitting at about 80 and rarely hitting 100hz. Therefore, g-sync was constantly on - no flickering at all! Turning g-sync off, god WHAT A DIFFERENCE! You don't realise it until it's not there!

The IPS glow isn't a problem, even on dark games like Elite and Alien, I would only notice it on loading screens and when I purposely looked for it.

No coil whine at all, running at 70% brightness for a good 8-10 hours constant

Basically chaps, in my experience this is a cracking screen!

EDIT:

Some more pics
http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s602/hadri1983/20160212_214343_zpshnxlpwps.jpg
http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s602/hadri1983/20160212_212618_zps3mua2utk.jpg
http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s602/hadri1983/20160212_212608_zpswcpgb4sw.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Are many people getting BLB?? I can see a little bit in all four corners - worst in the top LH - see my previous posts. IPS glow outshines it at normal viewing distance and I have to purposely look for it in game anyway. Just curious if I've been lucky

Associate
OP
How's the monitor going Hadri? those pictures looked epic, I've been stuck on 16:10 for so long and CCFL backlights... I can't wait to get my hands on this ASUS!

Very good mate, had a quick whirl on Star Wars BF last night, this monitor really comes into its own on FPS games! Not too wide, and the g-sync makes things smooth as butter. I keep expecting things to judder which almost makes me nauseous as I'm sure my brain is still trying to compensate for! Dare I say it's more immersive than surround gaming, the lack of bezels (which never really bothered me) make a big difference. With no defining line, you're forced to focus on the central screen which is just big enough to encompass your peripheral vision.

The only niggle I really have is the teeny bit of BLB in all four corners which I must confess is noticeable if I look for it, but only at a distance and when there is no input, otherwise IPS glow overshadows it. Even in dark games (Elite, Alien) I can't see it unless I intentionally back away and look on purpose. I'm scared it'll grate on me over time, but I think I'm being OCD!

Associate
OP
Hi, is a display port cable included with the monitor?

If this is your only monitor and your pc is next to or below it, you'll be ok with the supplied dp and usb cable. I'd recommend longer ones if there is more distance, I'm still using the supplied USB cable and it just reaches - I'll probably change it for a longer one. Never used the supplied DP cable, I'm assuming its the same length.

Associate
OP
Ignore the BLB! - every monitor in existence has it, even my samsung TV has some BLB on a black screen in the dark. - my Dell has had BLB (or is it just IPS glow?)..

either way, if you can litterally only see it when you specifically back away, and turn on a black screen just to spot the BLB - then I think you're just being OCD :p as long as you can't see it in normal every day use, you're good!

Totally right pal.. just had a sesh on Elite (as you can tell in the above pics.. I do play other games too!!) and couldn't see it.

I do really hope everyone else is as chuffed with their screen as me..... next step is VR!

Back
Top Bottom