The PUBG rig V2 x Strix x Thermalright

Soldato
OP
What a nightmare.

So for the first two days the rig ran beautifully. I was looking forward to getting it buttoned up.

And then it started to crash. For absolutely no reason whatsoever I could find. I tried everything, from changing the RAM speed down to reinstalling Windows. Nothing helped. After a few hours of being off I would get no display on boot. When I did get in it would just randomly freeze. In games and benchmarks? it was perfect. No artefacts, sod all.

Yesterday I decided it must be the ribbon for the GPU. Cut out all of the cable ties, nearly killed myself and my back working on it crouched. Nothing. Still crashing even with the GPU straight in the boards PCIE slot. As much as people speak of nightmares on AMD GPUs I have gotten away with it fine thus far, but not this one. The rig is now basically back to square one.

After hours and hours of messing around I think I may have solved it, though there is no way to know until it crashes again.

Oddly enough if I have found the fix? it is actually for Nvidia GPUs, not AMD. In fact, Nvidia have even created a tool that disables said problem in the registry.

And it's called MPO. Never heard of it? me either.

The tool itself is here.

The issue itself? I have no idea. But basically it always happened whilst browsing. I figured at first it may be something to do with hardware acceleration in Chrome, as I hear AMD can be dodgy for that, but it seems not.

I am now praying this is the fix. And I have a rig now that looks like dog poo and needs almost completely rebuilding :(

Soldato
OP
OK. 16 hours straight yesterday, no crashes. Not one.

4 hours today, no crashes. So I think we got to the bottom of it.

I just spent about an hour taping all of the RGB cables back together after undoing them all (they come out otherwise) and so on. Lots of cable ties and tidying etc. It now looks like this.

6Qj29WJ.png

I did think about putting it back to vertical, and even buying a PCIE 4 riser. And then, I had an epiphany. I name it "I can't be arsed". There is no better. Jokes aside? tbh I was quite surprised by how nice it looks when in normally. It has RGB on the back and side, so you are not really missing that much. It's also easier, and cheaper too.

PaaNmZZ.png

rZkgCRZ.png

DpX9ppm.png

So it is just a matter of making the end cap. Maybe tomorrow, we'll see.

Soldato
OP
Oh yeah other things...

The RGB RAM cooler did not fit with the card in that way. I guess they are made for ATX boards, without considering ITX. As such it hit the back plate. So, I took it off, flipped it over, and then cut off the larger mount.

S65k374.jpg

Top right of the pic. Good thing I bought a large hack saw recently... Bit of touching up, flipped the mesh part so the logo was the right way up and then fit. Funny part is it looks even better now it is higher up.

Back
Top Bottom