• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RT Related Games, Benchmarks, Software, Etc Thread.

Associate
I have and it's not too bad tbf due to the size and of course being oled, the black bars at the top and bottom aren't that bothersome but I prefer a physical 21.9 display over a custom 21.9 res on a 16.9 display. I will need to replace the TV at some point with a qd-oled one though as for HDR, there is a massive advantage on the qd-oled over woled here.
MLA or QD for myself when i say enough of my LG CX, had it 3.5 years, give it another year or so and time to upgrade it.

Soldato
It's v nice to have both options on a 42 tbh, a 39/40 UW and the full-on 42 4K and with the inky black bars you can't really tell in a darkened room :)

(I have the res switch on a hotkey so easily done)

True. However I've literally only ever done it once to test, I don't get what 21:9 adds value in whatsoever.

Soldato
I went there and I came straight back again
:D

I have been tempted by the new Alienware 4K 240Hz QD-OLED, Looks quite nice.

I thought that was when you went black?? :D

No that route just leads to epic amounts of disappointment due to a lot of false advertising according to a girly friend :cry:

Last edited:
Caporegime
True. However I've literally only ever done it once to test, I don't get what 21:9 adds value in whatsoever.

Where's @mrk when you need him and his screenshots :D :p

People always think it is just a display/AR with the top and bottom cut of but it's not, it's the same vertical screen real estate as a 16.9 equilvalent screen with extra horizontal screen real estate over a 16.9 equilvalent so you see more of a game world on the sides, people always then assume, oh, just turn up the FOV on a 16.9 screen to achieve the same effect but when you do this, you then distort your view entirely and encounter fish eye effect. Essentially 21.9 just provides a more immersive experience, some games benefit from this more than others.

Thread of topic now though, 21.9 thread here :p

Soldato
Where's @mrk when you need him and his screenshots :D :p

People always think it is just a display/AR with the top and bottom cut of but it's not, it's the same vertical screen real estate as a 16.9 equilvalent screen with extra horizontal screen real estate over a 16.9 equilvalent so you see more of a game world on the sides, people always then assume, oh, just turn up the FOV on a 16.9 screen to achieve the same effect but when you do this, you then distort your view entirely and encounter fish eye effect. Essentially 21.9 just provides a more immersive experience, some games benefit from this more than others.

Thread of topic now though, 21.9 thread here :p

So as my 42 16:9" is wider than a 34" UW then I'm having a more immersive experience, awesome :p

Soldato
Is not wider though... Personally I like better the 27"X3 in Surround :D.

Sorry, what?

C2 is 93.2cm wide
AW34 is 81.5

Including the small bezels (can't recall how big it was on the AW34 it is at least 10cm wider lol) Personally I will take one decent size monitor over multiple ones because cba with wires and bezels are distracting.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Sorry, what?

C2 is 93.2cm wide
AW34 is 81.5

Including the small bezels (can't recall how big it was on the AW34 it is at least 10cm wider lol) Personally I will take one decent size monitor over multiple ones because cba with wires and bezels are distracting.

Still not sure if serious :cry: :p

Physically it is wider but in terms of game real estate with your view, it's not wider, you see less on the sides.

Soldato
Still not sure if serious :cry: :p

Physically it is wider but in terms of game real estate with your view, it's not wider, you see less on the sides.

Right, so if I set my resolution to 3440x1440 on a physically bigger screen, I am seeing the same as someone with 10cm less screen?

Ya'll must look like this if you think it's a good thing:

Bonus homer

Last edited:
Caporegime
Right, so if I set my resolution to 3440x1440 on a physically bigger screen, I am seeing the same as someone with 10cm less screen?

Ya'll must look like this if you think it's a good thing:

It's all to do with the AR and res so yes, using a 21.9 res. i.e. 2560x1080, 3440x1440 etc. you will see more of the gameworld than someone using a 16.9 res. i.e. 1920x1080, 2560x1440, 3840x2160 etc. You can see loads of examples in the OP of this thread, again, this is not just simply a higher FOV being used on 21.9 res either as you don't get a distorted/fish eye effect like you would when increasing the FOV on a 16.9 res.:

There is no right or wrong but 21.9 is much closer to how our eye sight works in real life:

ITfoHwU.png

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Also, if you like sit 4 foot or more away from the monitor like apparently people do then ultrawide is probably just right. But when like me you sit 2 foot away 16:9 is fine.

As Nexus said though. There is no right or wrong with this really, just a preference. I like both.

Soldato
Also, if you like sit 4 foot or more away from the monitor like apparently people do then ultrawide is probably just right. But when like me you sit 2 foot away 16:9 is fine.

As Nexus said though. There is no right or wrong with this really, just a preference. I like both.

Yeah my desk is like 70cm deep I think so the 42" pretty much fills my whole vision without moving my head around which is why I found it more immersive than the letterbox monitor.

Reactions: TNA
Back
Top Bottom