This Business and Moment...

Man of Honour
Bit of a weird scenario at work just curious if others have had similar in the past (TL;DR day-to-day job itself is OK but bit some concerns about the medium term big picture)?

So I have a job where I feel I'm adequately compensated for my role, am not overworked (currently), get on pretty well with people. So I'm content with my position, even if it is (remuneration aside) less senior than a role I've held in the past at a similar organisation. All OK on that front.

However, we're engaged in some long term programmes of activity that I think are somewhat offtrack, big investment but not much tangible benefits realisation yet relative to that spend. I have this nagging impending sense of doom in the back of my mind, that we are sort of sleepwalking into a potential car crash sometime in the next year where the Exec will probably lose patience at not seeing a return on their investment. Perhaps more worryingly, I've seen quite a few people in our area leave this year due in part to frustrations at the slow pace of change and being frequently constrained from doing things the right/best way. There's a risk of this snowballing where the people left have to pick up more and more things and then that compounds into them getting frustrated or overworked I guess - maybe that will be me soon. Strategically, we seem to change direction frequently and often have multiple silos looking at similar things, meanwhile key problems we need to tackle get kicked down the road. We seem to get frequently torn between wanting to deliver long term strategic solutions and 'quick wins' (that sometimes aren't as quick or impactful as expected). We build out roadmaps that are pie in the sky aspirations without any real achievability lens on it because the senior leadership wants to present a positive outlook, which I think will catch up with us eventually. It's a bit Emperor's New Clothes territory at times, running through our successes at a town hall event or whatever with half the team cringing in the background.

My dilemma is that actually the spinning tyres we've experienced are kind of OK in the short term, I mean I get paid regardless and I'm one step removed from the decision makers that have accountability (conversely this means my ability to influence is a bit less than I'm used to). But I think there is a storm brewing in the background, budget constraints are coming in, I can forsee a situation where the Exec puts their foot down and we're under the cosh to deliver 'something' in a rushed fashion (e.g. spend 2yrs doing 50% of the work, then say 40 of the remaining 50% has to be attempted in a quarter). And for the first time in my career if push came to shove I don't feel like I could just walk straight out of the door into another perm role paying the same or better money, there aren't a huge number of those around in the current market.

Associate
Sounds like a lot of middling tech companies. Probably just milk it while it lasts with an eye open to something better.
We build out roadmaps that are pie in the sky aspirations without any real achievability lens on it because the senior leadership wants to present a positive outlook, which I think will catch up with us eventually. It's a bit Emperor's New Clothes territory at times, running through our successes at a town hall event or whatever with half the team cringing in the background.
I've been in that situation before. It was stressful but it actually worked out OK because despite having to manage up and paint a sparkly picture and roadmap, the management a level down did have a good idea about what was really important and delivered that.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
And for the first time in my career if push came to shove I don't feel like I could just walk straight out of the door into another perm role paying the same or better money, there aren't a huge number of those around in the current market.
I suppose good time to at least explore and have conversations. That's what I'd probably do in that position.

Soldato
OP
If I can do anything before they get rid of me, I'll clear out some of the **** toxic behaviour, as long as they actually take action... not sure anyone has the spine to do that though.
Well after I sent him an email telling him to take a long hard look at himself to understand why he behaves in the way he does, it ended up in me having a frank discussion with him. I half feel for the guy. He's working 50% on this role and 50% on another (because corp fun of not yet finding his replacement) but no one ends up doing 50% of each and he's pulled between both. I told him I empathised, but in this situation his approach was going to end up with him failing both, burning out and everyone in his team failing too.
I said that he had good people there willing to help, but he needs to let up the control and trust those around him to help and it won't go against him in any way.
He lightened up a lot during the conversation and I could tell he wasn't intentionally being a nob, he just is a bit out of his depth and doesn't know how to have his own boundaries, so then passes on that to his people.

So now I'm going to see how I can help him structure things in his space a bit better to help him be more successful, which is fine, but means I will have to actually do a bit more work :cry:

Soldato
Small update - it has also been"suggested" to me by my current manager that I should apply for that role in the US (which would be to be his equivalent and run the US team).

My partner is also happy for us to move to US if this opportunity does materialise.

I have some time setup next week with our senior manager in the US while I'm out there on business - where I'm going to say that I want this role .. and will see how things for from there.

Since I'm in US at the moment, I spoke with our overall US manager - who isn't sure how they want to structure/re-structure the team (ie. do they want to hire a manager, or merge a couple of existing teams together) ... despite having the formal job posting out for this role which says they are looking for a team manager!

I have nonetheless formally applied for the job to run the US team after the job posting went up.
Let's see what they decide they actually want to do...

I'm still hoping that the Fintech role in London I applied comes through, so that I can play the two offers off against each other to maximise the opportunity for myself.

Finger crossed.

Last edited:
Associate
...who isn't sure how they want to structure/re-structure the team (ie. do they want to hire a manager, or merge a couple of existing teams together) ... despite having the formal job posting out for this role which says they are looking for a team manager!

I have nonetheless formally applied for the job to run the US team after the job posting went up.
Let's see what they decide they actually want to do...

Just remember if it's the type of company that's likes to randomly re-org and your there on an L visa there's no way to stay if they let you go

Soldato
Just remember if it's the type of company that's likes to randomly re-org and your there on an L visa there's no way to stay if they let you go

Good point there

We've had lots of random re-orgs, but they've always protected the "key" individuals.

I'm fortunate that irrespective of what happens, I'm running one of our biggest initiatives and am generally seen as someone the organisation values and wants to keep.

I guess there is no guarantee that will go on for ever... still I'm willing to give the US a try!

Associate
Good point there

We've had lots of random re-orgs, but they've always protected the "key" individuals.

I'm fortunate that irrespective of what happens, I'm running one of our biggest initiatives and am generally seen as someone the organisation values and wants to keep.

I guess there is no guarantee that will go on for ever... still I'm willing to give the US a try!

Make sure any offer you get includes green card sponsorship from day one even if you have to pay back the fees if you leave. The sooner you get it the easier it is to settle in without worrying about being kicked out of the country at your bosses whim

Soldato
OP
Got the email yesterday that 13:30 today is D day on my "future at the company" as they put it :D

This **** is so long. I just want to mess around going on the most ridiculous of adventures, the whole process is such a mental drain.

I'll update the outcome, although I'm almost certain what it'll be. It would be comical if it wasn't, because I don't know how I'd react in that situation lol

Soldato
OP
I'll update the outcome, although I'm almost certain what it'll be. It would be comical if it wasn't, because I don't know how I'd react in that situation lol
It is DONE!

End of Feb 2025 will be my last day. 10months of getting paid and doing **** all :D I've already planned my transition because I knew it was coming, so this first 4 months of trying to make me still work will be me not working and then it's 6 months of fully being off!

Soldato
OP
6 months of gardening leave??
Yea, which is nice. And I have 25days of holiday I won't take... and I'll get bonus for 2024 (paid out next year before I leave) and severance of possibly 30k? Not been there long enough as a full time employee to get the most of the 20yr plus some people get I know.

But hey, I'll make the most of this time and go do other things

Man of Honour
Nice work (or not...) if you can get it :)
I appreciate getting made redundant is pretty stressful / troublesome for a lot of people so don't want to sound overly flippant, but for people who are financially secure, getting a big pay day in this way can be great. I can't think of a time in my life I'd ever not have been delighted to get 6 months gardening leave, a severance package plus a bonus, even ignoring the fact you won't be working that hard.

Man of Honour
On the first day of 2 weeks off work, without really thinking about it logged onto my work emails and monitoring various support and progress systems... nope time to switch off for a couple of weeks.

Back
Top Bottom