Too close ?

Associate
IMG_20161008_162227956.jpg

Putting some random parts I got together, Is this too close?

Going to add a 670 as well to the mix.

Associate
OP
I have the Thermalright AXP-200 Muscle (had to pay around £35 for mine), which is basically the same base cooler, but with a different fan. Awesome cooler, but I personally found the 13mm fan a little too loud, so I replaced it with the Noctua NF-F12 PWM (only 120mm, but 25mm thick). Now it's VERY quiet, but still very efficient, as well.

But indeed, the fans are too close to each other, especially when they're blowing in opposite directions. So the first thing I would try is turning the CPU fan upside down, or maybe even remove it completely.

But, if you're still thinking of purchasing a new cooler, then I would before that suggest yet another alternative: ditch the case. There are quite a few small low-cost cases, like the Kolink Satellite (for £27) (https://www.overclockers.co.uk/kolink-satellite-micro-atx-cube-case-black-ca-005-kk.html), for example. Because whatever cooler you're getting for your current case, you will still face the same air supply shortages, so you'd still be better off with turning the CPU fan upside down. So why not get a proper case, instead of compromising with an inferior new cooler?

But seriously, first try turning the fan upside down or removing it completely. That's the £0 upgrade. A £20+ CPU cooler upgrade is not very sensible with its limited benefits, when you can get a new case for £30, and get rid of the compromises altogether.

Well the case was free so not a big one to swap it to another case I got. Was trying to build a media pc for the TV out of random parts I had or could get cheap.

I have a look at that case and some others.

Back
Top Bottom