Umbrella recommendation?

Caporegime
Hello all

I recently got laid off from my web development job, looking at potential new opportunities and some of them are contracting rather than perm.

I think an Umbrella would be simplest for me given I have no limited company, but there seems to be quite a few out there.

Can anyone recommend a reliable one please? I don't want the tax man on my case :p

Thanks
Aaron

Soldato
I agree with Maccy - when I first did contracting it was all government and inside IR35 so I had to use an umbrella, I used Parasol - they managed everything fairly well for me - but I only did it for about 6 months.

Man of Honour
I used Paystream when I was an inside IR35 contractor, I found them pretty good in the sense of:
  • Did all the basics correctly without issue like paying me on time, providing payslips etc (I know that's the minimum you expect, but it's also the really important stuff!)
  • Easy to get hold of UK call centre on the phone on the rare occasion I needed to discuss anything

Last edited:
Soldato
I used Paystream when I was an inside IR35 contractor, I found them pretty good in the sense of:
  • Did all the basics correctly without issue like paying me on time, providing payslips etc (I know that's the minimum you expect, but it's also the really important stuff!)
  • Easy to get hold of UK call centre on the phone on the rare occasion I needed to discuss anything
Same, that’s who I’ve been using. Don’t seem to really put a foot wrong, though I think some other places may have lower / no pension admin fees etc.

Man of Honour
No I'm not contracting at the moment. As above though I'd probably just go back to them if I was because it was low hassle, maybe I could save a few quid with some other mob but tbh their monthly fees are the equivalent of less than an hours earnings, I'd rather pay that money than risk some other firm being less efficient.

Did they pay me the correct amount on time? Yes.
Did they provide me with the relevant paperwork? Yes.
Did they have a competent native english speaker on the phone when I needed to speak to somebody? Yes.

If the above 3 boxes are ticked there's not much else I need from them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom