Unable to uninstall OpenOffice

Soldato
When i try to uninstall OpenOffice i get the message saying that 'Error, could not open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\Dif\OpenWithProgIDs. Verify that you have access to that.....'

Its really bugging me now. I need to install MSOffice but don't want or need this on there at the same time. Any ideas? :confused:

Soldato
OP
Also, i've even tried to just delete the OpenOffice folder from my hard drive. It won't even let me do this! It says 'cannot delete shlxthdl.dll. Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full....etc etc'.

I've tried deleting straight after a reboot AND in Safe mode but without any success.

Soldato
OP
Otacon said:
Can you try re-installing OO with a view to then trying an uninstall?

I've tried it but i get EXACTLY the same message as i do when i'm trying to Uninstall.

ie. Error, could not open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\Dif\OpenWithPr ogIDs. Verify that you have access to that.....'

:confused:

Soldato
OP
Otacon said:
Ok, next logical question :- Does that key exist, and what are the permissions on that key?

The key exists and i (the administrator) have full control.

To be honest, as far as the registry goes, i don't really know what i'm doing! I have been running CCleaner for the last week so that may have screwed something in the registry up.

I'm actually tempted to do a full re-install of Windows even though i've got about 30 gig of music and MPEGS to back-up. Please tell me i don't have to do that.

Soldato
Before you go re-installing Windows, you could try to manually remove all the files, including the registry entries.

Also, CCleaner asks if you want to make backups of your registry... perhaps you could try reinstating one of those backups? I doubt it, but perhaps CCleaner did nerf something.

SiriusB

Associate
There are plenty of free or trial uninstallers around. You could try one of those - for example trial program here:
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,2434,00.asp

If you have a file you can't remove, right-click on it and check Properties for read-only. If so you can unset this and then try deleteing it - easiest in Safe mode.
If there is a whole raft of read only stuff you can use a DOS commant to do a mass change to unset the read-only status. But you still need to clean up the registry, so this approach is a bit drastic.

Almost anything (safe) is better than reinstaling Windows, especially as only a reinstall on a clean disk wil guarantee the registry is clear. If you were that drastic you'd have to reinstall all your other s/w and set it up too.

Soldato
OP
I've had to to a clean install of XP in the end. I tried deleting the registry entry but i still couldn't uninstall OpenOffice.

At least its given me a reason to backup all my mp3s etc. It was something i have been meaning to do for a while now.

Thanks everyone anyway. :)

Back
Top Bottom